Sunday Turkeys

Finally got away from the baseball field on Sunday and into the turkey field. Was a great day to be a turkey hunter. Heard 6 to 7 gobbles right off the bat starting at about 530 am. Friend of mine got one at about 8 o'clock and I got this monster in the pictures below at 1215. Took me awhile. He came in silent too. Never gobbled. Glad my buddy already killed his and I had another pair of eyes out there. Biggest bird I have ever killed at 26 pounds. One spur was 1.5 inches, the other was 1.75 inches. 12 inch beard.

P.S. And by the way it was covered in ticks!!

Awesome bird, congratulations! The turkeys are HOT right now, but henned up pretty bad in my area at least. That truly is a trophy bird right there.

Thank you. Yeah they are hot and heavy at the moment. Gobble early, then they shut up and find hens. Then they started gobbling again about 8, then shut up again. We heard our last gobble at about 11. Mine came in silent at 12. I know a lot of people give up when they quit with the gobbles in the morning. If they are in the area keep calling. They will eventually get curious.

Nice bird!!! I'm the worst at turkey hunting, but I still enjoy getting out there. I'll be in touch. I hope all is well.

Saturday

My dad scored on Saturday despite the Forrest Gump style rain we were hunting in. Couldn't get one to gobble in our morning spot. But about 8:30 we put the stalk on three Tom's that liked to gobble everytime the thunder hit. It was a good stalk. They called in to us to close the distance and our rain gear was worth its weight in gold that day.

This one was also covered in ticks.

Back