Suggestions on a lighter gun

The only thing I wonder about with the ultra light is that carbon fiber rib. It seems like it'd be easy to knock loose? I saw one at a store and it had a lot of wiggle in it.

Best place to buy a gun. Free shipping and no sales tax.
I bought ammo from them last winter. Got charged up the wazoo for shipping and sales tax but it was the first place that had the ammo I use in like 2+ years so I had to do it.

I think the physical location is in Walker, MN.

I would be hesitant to buy a shotgun online without holding it and looking at in person. Just my personal preference.

I bought ammo from them last winter. Got charged up the wazoo for shipping and sales tax but it was the first place that had the ammo I use in like 2+ years so I had to do it.

I think the physical location is in Walker, MN.

I would be hesitant to buy a shotgun online without holding it and looking at in person. Just my personal preference.
I have bought 4 from them recently and been happy with each one. I bought a Browning Maxus II from them last fall and saved about $400 when you figure in the sales tax. I also bought a case of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant from them last fall and paid no sales tax. I guess you live in MN. I try and buy everything across state lines to save sales tax. Especially on used vehicles, boats, etc.

The only thing I wonder about with the ultra light is that carbon fiber rib. It seems like it'd be easy to knock loose? I saw one at a store and it had a lot of wiggle in it.

The (carbon) rib on my SBEIII sure does. I don't really care, because I think ribs are stupid, but I also don't want it to fall off.

I've purchased several guns online, including from Reed's, and while I'm hesitant about used guns, the only reason I'd care to see a new gun before purchase is if I cared about the wood. That said, I've taken a risk on 2 citoris I bought new online and wound up with nice wood on both. I bet you could call Reed's and ask them about the wood on a gun you bought and they'd give you a fair evaluation. It's a good store.

I've purchased several guns online, including from Reed's, and while I'm hesitant about used guns, the only reason I'd care to see a new gun before purchase is if I cared about the wood. That said, I've taken a risk on 2 citoris I bought new online and wound up with nice wood on both. I bet you could call Reed's and ask them about the wood on a gun you bought and they'd give you a fair evaluation. It's a good store.
I always have them pick out the prettiest gun. They will even take pictures and send to you.

So sorry for the curve ball! Don’t rule out a side by side ? The English 12 gauge vintage models will weigh just over 6 Pounds. You usually will have 2 chokes . Most right barrel are IC, the second barrel tighter. So late season if your dog is working farther away from you , move your finger in to back trigger for a full or nearly full choke . Great late season gun carry gun!
, light recoil as they will use b and p or rst 2.5 inch at ammo.

Have had one for about 7-8 seasons, hunt the hell out of it…30 days+ per season, never been an issue. The fluorescent bead got knocked off, as the one on my montefeltro did, and my shooting improved…focusing on the target and not aiming…the rib on the ultralight is raised a bit, it fits me better than any gun. Dumb luck. I shot the monte well, too, but not this well!

Best place to buy a gun. Free shipping and no sales tax.
I bought a Franchi Affinity 3 compact from Reeds when I was up in Walker last week. They knocked a little over $100 off the price and I didn't even ask for a discount. If you're going to buy from Reeds, I would call and see what kind of deal you can get, rather than buying online.

I like my Bennelli SBE 12ga but I've now hit 70 and have back issues. It is time for a lighter gun. I want a semi-auto, reliability and availability (both gun and ammo). I'm thinking a Bennelli Ethos 20ga/26" barrel. I'm not a gun guru, any suggestions? (I'm in MN).
I know where you’re coming from
Part of the evolution of an upland hunter
Today more and more manufacturers are producing lighter autos to keep up with us baby boomers 😂
You have lots of choices
If it feels good and fits then go for it
You always have another reason to add another to the vault

I bought a Franchi Affinity 3 compact from Reeds when I was up in Walker last week. They knocked a little over $100 off the price and I didn't even ask for a discount. If you're going to buy from Reeds, I would call and see what kind of deal you can get, rather than buying online.
I've bought several at Reed's over the years and agree they do work with you on the price. Got a great savings on a Benelli a few years ago and asked about a case..."go pick one out, but keep it under $100" was the response.

Great suggestion on the Retay Masai Mara 20!! Shot it exclusively last season in MN and MT. Left the Benelli in the safe. Wonderful feel and points with ease. Never had an issue with loading either 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells. Have the Upland model with bronze ceracote.

Last edited:
I know where you’re coming from
Part of the evolution of an upland hunter
Today more and more manufacturers are producing lighter autos to keep up with us baby boomers 😂
You have lots of choices
If it feels good and fits then go for it
You always have another reason to add another to the vault
I looked at a bunch of nice 20’s and the SweetSixteen. No bad options but I went ahead with the Ethos. Felt good and I like its looks. It patterned well out of the box but it does kick a little. I walk a lot more than I shoot so it is a good trade.

I looked at a bunch of nice 20’s and the SweetSixteen. No bad options but I went ahead with the Ethos. Felt good and I like its looks. It patterned well out of the box but it does kick a little. I walk a lot more than I shoot so it is a good trade.
I really liked the feel of the Ethos. The LOP fit me perfect. Those suckers are expensive. Recoil is just something you have to deal with when it comes to an inertia gun. Hope you enjoy it as it will make an outstanding upland gun.

I really liked the feel of the Ethos. The LOP fit me perfect. Those suckers are expensive. Recoil is just something you have to deal with when it comes to an inertia gun. Hope you enjoy it as it will make an outstanding upland gun.
Tom - good choice. I have a couple of friends that love theirs. The recoil from a lighter and enertia is normal vs a gas one.
However once you are on game, you will not notice it. I do gas if trap shooting and inertia when hunting. A box of shell when hunting is seldom spent/shot. Enjoy your new gun- Happy Hunting

Back