Successful SD public hunt completed

G-Texan

I’m headed home from 8 days of hunting public ground in Mitchell, Wolsey, and Gettysburg. I am bringing home 10 roosters. I had limits 2 days before noon. There were 3 days with zero roosters. The dog and I flushed birds everyday but many were experienced birds flushing wild. I stayed five nights at the birddog bunk house in Gettysburg owned by dukxdog. It is a nice accommodation with private bedroom, dog kennel, kitchen, hot showers, and more. I consider this a successful and worthwhile trip.

9089F531-851B-4482-91C8-D114FB12F9AA.jpeg

Hey, hey!! Look at that beautiful pup getting the job done!

I'd call that a successful trip as well. Hunting public land is a challenge. Even for those of us who know the spots in their area quite well, the pheasants still have an advantage over a guy and a dog. But the reward is overwhelming and brings me back time and time again. Thanks for sharing the results of your trip!!

I like this report because it's straight up and honest. People posting a report that are only complaining doesn't add anything to the conversation. Just as people posting a pile of dead birds but with no other details doesn't mean much to me. Summing up your entire days long hunt puts into perspective the ups and downs of a public land do it yourselfer. And lastly, a very pretty dog you have sir:).

Congrats on a successful trip Texan! Nothing more rewarding than killing roosters with your own dog , especially when they are young up and coming!
You might be back in time for our quail opener this weekend!...wish I could say more about our birds in N.T. but unfortunately it doesnt look good.

I like this report because it's straight up and honest. People posting a report that are only complaining doesn't add anything to the conversation. Just as people posting a pile of dead birds but with no other details doesn't mean much to me. Summing up your entire days long hunt puts into perspective the ups and downs of a public land do it yourselfer. And lastly, a very pretty dog you have sir:).
I agree. I thought it was an honest, well thought out report posted too. You know its an honest report when they post that they went 3 days out of 8 with zero roosters in the almighty South Dakota.

Like you said this is the best report I’ve seen in a while in this forum. It’s honest and it’s very informational. Thank you for sharing g with the group. I’ll be in south dakota in about three weeks and I can’t wait. I’m coming rain or shine whether there are birds or not. I just love being out there and hunting with my old man.

I think if a guy gets a limit on public land, that's a major accomplishment, and should be celebrated.

Like you said this is the best report I’ve seen in a while in this forum. It’s honest and it’s very informational. Thank you for sharing g with the group. I’ll be in south dakota in about three weeks and I can’t wait. I’m coming rain or shine whether there are birds or not. I just love being out there and hunting with my old man.
... for the good of the order... arrived Saturday.
Out Sunday in the rain, flushed 5 total/2 rooster...no shots
Monday... beautiful day, almost a repeat 5 total/2 rooster... shots fired.
Tuesday...7 flushes... some double/ 2 rooster...1 hit and searched long time... nothing
Wednesday was travel/picture day. Corn Palace and the big Rooster...buuuut got out last hours upon return to west of Salem area... two hens far away.
19 flushes in 3.5 days.... little less than hoped for but the new pup is fitting in great with the old salt... the two are definitely covering ground with the puppy paying attention to the stud...

oh and plenty of shells at Cabela's...

Attachments

• IMG_20211024_150539381.jpg
    IMG_20211024_150539381.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20211024_095437325_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211024_095437325_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 47
Congrats on a successful trip Texan! Nothing more rewarding than killing roosters with your own dog , especially when they are young up and coming!
You might be back in time for our quail opener this weekend!...wish I could say more about our birds in N.T. but unfortunately it doesnt look good.
Thanks.
The TP&W quail report that just came out does not look good. I was hoping my lease in the rolling plains would have good quail numbers with all the rain we had but they are pitiful, maybe next year.

Last edited:
... for the good of the order... arrived Saturday.
Out Sunday in the rain, flushed 5 total/2 rooster...no shots
Monday... beautiful day, almost a repeat 5 total/2 rooster... shots fired.
Tuesday...7 flushes... some double/ 2 rooster...1 hit and searched long time... nothing
Wednesday was travel/picture day. Corn Palace and the big Rooster...buuuut got out last hours upon return to west of Salem area... two hens far away.
19 flushes in 3.5 days.... little less than hoped for but the new pup is fitting in great with the old salt... the two are definitely covering ground with the puppy paying attention to the stud...

oh and plenty of shells at Cabela's...
Thanks for the update on Cabelas. I have hit up every store in Idaho and can’t find shells to save my life. I’m hoping they still have shells in Mitchell when I get there thanksgiving week.

It isn't that hard to shoot 3 birds on quality private land, that hasn't been hammered. Shooting 3 on public takes skill, and perseverance.

I wouldn't go that far. Wild birds on private land are still wild birds. They are wary of predators and hunters just like they are on public land based solely on natural instinct to survive. I would definitely say that after the first week of the season, birds on public land are generally more difficult to harvest though.

I wouldn't go that far. Wild birds on private land are still wild birds. They are wary of predators and hunters just like they are on public land based solely on natural instinct to survive. I would definitely say that after the first week of the season, birds on public land are generally more difficult to harvest though.
It's all a matter of pressure. Regardless of which land they live on, the more pressure they see, the "smarter" they become. It's FINDING them, at the right time, that becomes the biggest challenge. They use pressured habitat more & more sparingly, and at very specific times, as the season rolls on. And generally, public land gets exponentially more pressure than most private land.

I hunted private land 3 times last year (all somewhat pressured birds), & 2 of those times, birds did things they'd never, EVER do on the public areas I hunt. Hunting a cattail draw about 3/8-mile long. Birds begin to flush up ahead, but several flew down the draw a couple/few hundred yards & landed again. Hunting a small cattail slough, birds flushing up ahead & flying who knows where to safety. A half hour later, they began to come back. I'd never see either of those things on the public places I hunt. (maybe, MAYBE during the first week of the season)

Last edited:
I say this often - we are blessed to have places like the Dakotas, Iowa, Kansas to satisfy our passion for roosters. I got hooked at an early stage tracking them in snow where 2-3 birds a season was braggin material.
I pray this privilege remains intact for generations to come. We know it has little to do with the number of birds we bag, rather it is about the full experience of it all. We need help in maintaining the critical habitat as without that there's nothing.
Nothing like the rush one get from a flush under foot!

Back