Stock chokes

I think the stock chokes are good enough to hunt with. That being said after I patterned all the provided benelli chokes and I also purchased a couple Carlson chokes in light mod and improved mod. I use the light mod most of the season and switch to improved mod late season on windy days. I suggest you pattern your load through several chokes as you may be surprised that a choke may pattern tighter or more open than marked.

Are the stock chokes that come with the Benelli’, good enough to hunt with or should I buy an aftermarket choke?

Good enough in that they pattern well? Well.... there's only one way to determine that and that is to hit the pattern board. That being said there is nothing inherently wrong with using the choke tubes that came with the gun. As Hunt1 stated sometimes you may wish to have a choke constriction that is in between what the factory chokes offer, such as a light modified or improved modified. Normally with a hunting model you typically are given an IC, Mod and Full. Many people find the Light Modified a perfect balance between IC and Modified. It's also quite a popular choke for Sporting Clays.

Last edited:
I purchased a Benelli Ultralight 20 a few years back and had a rough start with missing everything I shot at. I decided to pattern the gun on a splatter board to see where my shots were going. My IC that came with the gun was shooting 12" high and left at 16 yards. I promptly ordered all new choke tubes from Carlson and I am not having that issue anymore. I'm not saying yours will be that way also......just for your consideration. I think it all depends on when they change their cutting tools and and re-calibrate their equipment. I am sure they are mass producing them and have an acceptable number of units being cut before they re-calibrate. Definitely pattern your gun before you hunt or shoot clays.

I purchased a Benelli Ultralight 20 a few years back and had a rough start with missing everything I shot at. I decided to pattern the gun on a splatter board to see where my shots were going. My IC that came with the gun was shooting 12" high and left at 16 yards. I promptly ordered all new choke tubes from Carlson and I am not having that issue anymore. I'm not saying yours will be that way also......just for your consideration. I think it all depends on when they change their cutting tools and and re-calibrate their equipment. I am sure they are mass producing them and have an acceptable number of units being cut before they re-calibrate. Definitely pattern your gun before you hunt or shoot clays.

That sounds like a choke that was non concentric to the bore and every now and then you run across one. A quick trip to the pattern board gives one the tell tale sign. By the way there are two different methods of patterning a gun. Patterning for point of impact is where the gun/barrel truly shoots and needs to be done on a bench rest such as would be done sighting in a rifle. Patterning for gun fit is done shooting off hand focusing on a mark then mounting the gun and triggering the shot as soon as the stock hits your face. Shooting a minimum of 5 shots one over the top of each other in case of an errant gun mount. The more consistent your gun mount is the more you will learn about how the gun truly fits. If your gun mount is inconsistent you won't learn much about how it fits until you can be more consistent.

Back