Staying in Buena Vista December 21-28

cbump

Hi everyone, I'll be in the Buena Vista area for Christmas and was wondering if there was any bird hunting opportunities within an hour or two? I'll have my dog with me either way so want to get some hunting in. if there is nothing very good for wild birds, can someone recommend a good preserve outfitter?
Thank you, I appreciate it!

I live 22 miles s of BV. Currently I am at least 5 hours from the closest marginal bird hunting, and 3ish from a preserve. You might get into some ducks in the San Luis Valley, but its been cold here, so it has been brutal down there. Everything including the river will probably be frozen.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll probably just plan a route home where I can hunt for a day.
I'm staying in a cabin on bunny lane off chalk creek Dr, which is south of bv I think. Are you familiar with the area? We're coming from Texas.
Not looking you ski or anything, just want to have Christmas up there but we would like to hike around with the dog and the kids would like to sled. Any suggestions on places to go?

Mt Princeton Hot Springs pool is about 10 miles south. There is areas to hike as the valley is surrounded by National Forest. Downside is we have been hit by a series of storms that has left a fair amount of snow. There are things to see in both downtown areas (BV, and Salida) and both have some decent shops. There might be some lighter snow areas east of town that you might get a hike in, but it is winter at 7400 feet above sea level, so you will have to deal with snow. A lot of the forest roads will be snowed in, so you might be limited there. There is also some nice historical areas to visit in Leadville. The mining museum there is supposed to be very interesting.

Ok great, thanks for the tips! Glad to hear there is snow because the kids have never seen real snow and we really wanted a white Christmas. Not too worried about a hike as long as we can find nearby places for the kids to play and the dog to run.

Does anyone know if there are any preserves to the southeast we could hit on the way in or out?

Steel Forks is about an hour east of colorado springs. You should be able to find a post on here about the farm in the colorado section. Other than that I don't know of any bird farms in the southeast part of the state. You might check out Kansas, depending on your route back to Texas.

Go to the Hunting Directory on this web site and select Colorado....many listings there...all mountain bird seasons are closed now I think...plus the non-resident license is kinda steep...best bet is a bird farm on the way out or on the way home...good luck :cool:

Assuming you're returning to TX via the panhandle, make your route home via Pueblo->Lamar->Springfield->Campo. There's a fair amount of WIA near the latter three, and it's a short hop on down to Dalhart from there. Not sure how good it will be this year, but at least you can hunt! Used to be some decent quail (both bobs and cotton-tops) down there as well.

As far as hiking, you might find some open trails down near Cotopaxi or Texas Creek, east on Hwy 50 from Salida, maybe 45 minutes from where you're staying (take the short-cut into Salida from Hwy 285, don't go through Poncha Springs!). There's a network of OHV trails on the north side of the canyon there - probably reasonable for hiking this time of year. Usually the canyon between Salida and Canon City is pretty snow-free. If nothing else you could always just hike the fisherman's trails along the Arkansas, which might actually be kind of fun. I came through there a week ago but wasn't really paying attention to the snow level!

B.V. has some great trails for hiking and biking from downtown across the bridge and there is a huge trail network. Salida has the same kind of trail network across the bridge from their downtown. Also there are some good restaurants and breweries in both towns.

Monarch Pass is just up 50 to the West. Probably have all the snow you want! Salida is a neat town at night!:thumbsup:

Kansas lacks birds this year, but there are still a few around. About this time of the year(if like years past) KDWPT will begin selling the next year's license. That means you will only be able to purchase a 2014 license, but the good news is that it is valid for the rest of this year and all of next. Two birds for the price of one, so to speak.

Kansas has a lot of walk in hunting so there is plenty area to hunt, just not many birds. Check out the WIHA atlas on line or pick one up at a vendor. Hunter safety required if born after some time in 1957 if I recall correctly.

Here is link to look it all up-

http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunting

Enjoy that part of Colorado, it is awesome.

Kansas lacks birds this year, but there are still a few around. About this time of the year(if like years past) KDWPT will begin selling the next year's license. That means you will only be able to purchase a 2014 license, but the good news is that it is valid for the rest of this year and all of next. Two birds for the price of one, so to speak.

Kansas has a lot of walk in hunting so there is plenty area to hunt, just not many birds. Check out the WIHA atlas on line or pick one up at a vendor. Hunter safety required if born after some time in 1957 if I recall correctly.

Here is link to look it all up-

http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunting

Enjoy that part of Colorado, it is awesome.

Manyard,
We didn't do too bad when we where out there last month. I averaged about 2 roosters a day for the 3 1/2 day hunt. Everyone in the group got a least one bird a day. Of course we hunted mostly private land. The weather really helped. Got to chin wagged with Angie at The Bad Habit, had me the T-bone, bad habit burger :cheers::cheers:....good times...my young pionting lab, Remi, pointed his first wild pheasant, a hen mind you, but a wild bird at that. ;)

All in all, it was a good time, with good friends, good dogs and my 14yr old son.:thumbsup::10sign: We might even try to come out for a quick hunt MLK weekend...we'll see....

I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and here is to a better 2014 for moisture...I saw the winter wheat was looking good, more switchgrass than I had seen the past two years before (looks fresher and not the dead grey stuff I saw two years ago). God Bless!!

Greg

Back