Spring Burn 2022

remy3424

The local FD said that it is this morning or they weren't sure when they would be able to help with our final required mid-contract CRP burn (the last third). Many of the volunteers on the FD are farmers. I wasn't sure the ground was workable after our spring rain a week ago, it has been cool and cloudy. It was still surprisingly muddy, but we got the firebreaks tilled last night, had the foodplots gone over also. The ground worked-up way better in the plots as they were drier with less cover on them. Saw tons of birds, that never gets old!

Well, I need to get the sprayer on the Gater, fill the tank and get ready. Hoping we are done in a couple hours, before the winds pick-up. It could take all morning with the very light winds they were forecasting. Will to take some pics, if time allows...and I remember!

Anyone else with burns this spring?

Last edited:
Looks like you sure were needing the burn from the amount of ash left! The first rain or snow will take that down and within a few days grass will start showing! I was planning on over 1000 acres here, but we have been in a severe drought and the wind and humidity haven't been cooperative. I still have not blackened an acre. I hate it because it throws things out of rotation. You did good!

Yep, need a nice rain to knock down that layer of ash. Most of what we burned was switchgrass, that hadn't been distrubed for 6 growing seasons. I doubt we will have any sheds, the deer head for the timbers around mid december, earlier if we get a good snow, there is one timber 3 miles to the east and another 3-4 miles south, they would be holed-up there when they drop antlers. I will make a few laps with the gater IF we get a rain (or snow) for sheds, just in case...they should be easy to spot against the black back-drop. Yes, always a relief when you get one done without incident. PD, guessing you still have a little time..maybe? Your cutoff is likley ahead of ours, I think it is May 1st here, to get mid-contract practices completed, last year it was April 17th when we burned.

Nice work, we where planning on a 1500 acre burn on Monday of this week but it rained all day Sunday.

Ours has 8 years left, the contract only has one prescribed burn in the maintenance. In a couple years, we will seek permission to burn off thirds again. Was it a big issue or much paperwork to get permission? When we burnt last year the brome was growing good (not as much this year), but I didn't think it slowed the brome grass much at all. It really does creep in from the ditches and terraces quicker than you can imagine.

I'm still sitting on the fence waiting for burn weather. The humidity is going down to teens or single digits many days. Some days it bottoms out in the mid 20's. Most of the time we get a 180-degree wind switch within a day or two so things would need additional watching. Anything with a lot of 1000 hour fuel anywhere near an edge is just not worth doing with the fire departments run ragged over other's mistakes. 100 miles east and the conditions are a lot better!

I'm still sitting on the fence waiting for burn weather. The humidity is going down to teens or single digits many days. Some days it bottoms out in the mid 20's. Most of the time we get a 180-degree wind switch within a day or two so things would need additional watching. Anything with a lot of 1000 hour fuel anywhere near an edge is just not worth doing with the fire departments run ragged over other's mistakes. 100 miles east and the conditions are a lot better!
It’s been terrible lately. Wife’s uncle had a pasture burn in Beaver last week. Big fire. I think it put two firefighters in the hospital

I was in Republican City, NE April 7-10 and all the local talk was about a wildfire about 30 miles further west. This is more-or-less straight north of Hays. The talk wasn't so much about the fire, but really the head-on collision between two firefighting vehicles operating in an area heavily obscured by smoke. It was tragic. One person was killed and another suffered serious leg injuries of some kind.

Back