Soybeans and Pheasants

Dakotazeb

I had someone tell me recently that pheasants cannot digest soybeans and that they can literally starve to death eating them. I've read a little on the subject on the internet and it appears it might be true. Apparently soybeans contain digestive inhibitors that render them nearly worthless as a food for birds. It also said that if the soybeans are cooked to an internal temperature of 180 degrees that it destroys the inhibitors and then the soybeans are a healthy food high in protein and energy.

Anyone out there ever heard of this or know more on the subject?

Kind of like Box elder Bugs - the birds won't touch them!

Not really. Because the pheasants will eat the soybeans thinking they are filling up when they apparently can't digest them and get any nutritional benefit.

Not really. Because the pheasants will eat the soybeans thinking they are filling up when they apparently can't digest them and get any nutritional benefit.

I have been of the opinion that beans were a winter feed source as I see them eating them when everything else is covered with snow.

I have been of the opinion that beans were a winter feed source as I see them eating them when everything else is covered with snow.

Don't take what I said as gospel. I'd really like to get an expert opinion on the subject. I wonder if Pheasant Forever would have any knowledge on this?

I've heard of this, but never been able to find any good info to back it up. We all know people will eat things that are either not good for them or just plain useless. I find it a little hard to imagine that a wild creature would eat so much food they weren't able to utilize. I've seen a lot of fat roosters in the dead of a tough winter with soy beans in their crops. Do they prefer corn? Yes, but whether that's because it's more useful or just because it tastes better.....I haven't the foggiest.

Like most of us, I have killed birds with crops stuffed with soybeans. I have also read and heard that soybeans really are not an effective food source for pheasants.

This thread made me go searching. Here's something I found that supports the idea that soybeans don't help pheasants very much as a food source.

Editor’s Note: This excerpt is from a six-part series on pheasant ecology written by Travis Runia, senior upland biologist for the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Department. The series was originally written for the South Dakota Conservation Digest and is reprinted here with permission.

...Soybeans, although abundant and high in energy and protein, contain digestive inhibitors which render them nearly worthless as food for birds. Research has revealed that birds lose weight and become malnourished when fed soybeans...

https://www.theoutdoorforum.net/index.php/2016/10/07/pheasant-ecology-2/

It would appear that the position of SD Game, Fish & Parks is that soybeans are not a good food source for pheasants.

They surely do eat them though!

<EDIT> Found a link to Runia's 6 part article on Pheasant Ecology. Good read to pass the time until the 21st!

https://www.pfwebsites.org/chapter/browncountypforg/files/Pheasant Ecology.pdf </edit>

Last edited:
I emailed the question to Pheasant Forever and below is their response. Pretty much goes along with what Chestle posted.

Thank you for contacting Pheasants Forever regarding your question on soybeans. Soybeans are a poor choice of primary food source for pheasants and there is an inhibitor that makes it very hard for birds to digest. Although there is no study out there saying there is no nutritional value of soybeans for the birds, when pheasants use soybeans as a primary food source they are typically found in a poorer body condition.

Studies have been done in reference to reproduction of quail consuming a diet of soybeans, such as this one:

http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3426&context=utk_gradthes

I believe there was a similar study done at K-State. If I can remember the professor's name then I bet I can find it also.

I do have a friend in the Flint Hills of Kansas that believes that the decline in his quail numbers came at the same time that soybeans were replacing milo around his ranch(Elk County, Kansas)

The study referred to above by M.R. Byrd gives a good overview of the nutritional effects of feeding raw soybeans. The Trypsin inhibitor in the uncooked bean interferes with digestion of the soybean protein. This effect applies to use of raw soybeans in livestock as well. There is however a change in the animals ability to utilize the soybean as a food source as it matures. From the article:
However, as the animals grow older, they become much less susceptible to the
anti-nutritional effects of raw soybeans. Mature rats, chickens, pigs and guinea
pigs can maintain body weight or grow equally well on diets containing raw
soybean, heat-treated soybean or meat proteins (Patten et al., 1973; Booth et al.,
1964; Saxena et al., 1963; Danielson, 1985).

I cannot locate the study at Kansas State. I believe it was done a good number of years ago by Dr. Robles about reproduction issues in bob white quail on a soybean diet.

My question is if they cannot eat soybeans why is the state filling our game production areas with Soybeans? For the deer maybe? They should be able to eat them correct?

Interesting topic. I'll go with my biology background, some research, and most of all nearly 40 years of pheasant hunting in corn and bean country coupled with some common sense. I've killed way too many birds packed with beans in late season, besides watching flocks of winter birds scouring the bean stubble to believe any of the 0 food value nonsense.. While studies prove beans have less useable nutrition due to protease inhibitors, pheasants obviously can live on them. Other factors which affect the ability of birds to metabolize nutrients, especially protein from soy beans include the age and decomposition state of the beans, and if they have begun to sprout, which is very common in wet falls in the mid-west. In fact i believe once beans start to form cotelydons, or sprout, most of the protease inhibitor is neutralized. SD has perhaps the most extensive research on this subject and their conclusion was that corn is best, and that birds eating mainly wild foods like weed seeds or those subsisting on mainly beans had lower body weights and less fat, but did not suggest any added mortality due to this. In fact no studies I know of have ever shown pheasants to starve to death in winter, no matter what the food source. Yet another study found that pheasants eating mainly beans developed larger and longer intestines to help with digestion, and maintained good health despite the lower nutritive value, as do birds living mainly on wild foods - amazing! Nature produces and maintains only the fittest! That said, corn is still the best for helping producing the over-abundance of birds that we all crave.

Last edited:
After a bit more thought and research I've come to a few more conclusions on this. First, it appears many of the studies on the lack of nutrition in soybeans involved domestic poultry and pen-raised pheasants fed a diet of dry raw beans. First, wild birds with generations of natural selection are vastly different animals than pen-raised birds or domestic poultry. Second, raw, dry beans or feeds derived from bean meal are not equivalent to waste beans found in the field. Studies show that beans lose their anti-nutritive protease inhibitors after germinating for only 18 hrs - i.e. lying in moist warmish soil for less than a day, and that other factors such as moisture content and freeze-thaw cycles also reduce or eliminate the protease inhibitors - just like cooking does. Bottom line - bean consumption and wild pheasant nutrition is a somewhat complicated subject, but overall it seems wild pheasants can and do survive just fine on waste beans, perhaps even better in wet years and when utilizing them later in the season and in winter after freeze-thaw cycles have occurred. Which explains why in more than one occasion I've witnessed pheasants abandon full corn feeders placed by our local PF chapter during extreme winters as soon as a thaw exposed some large patches of bare ground - in favor of scratching for waste beans.

Last edited:
I have a little bit different take on this, just a personal observation I made a few years ago. There was a patch of CRP across the road from a harvested bean field and some fingers of cover that were on the bean field that I had permission to hunt on. The CRP owners released some birds for some controlled hunts and we encountered the birds several times throughout the season. Early on the birds were huge, probably 1 1/2 to 2 X heavier than what a wild bird would weigh. A month later the birds were skinny almost emaciated, but yet their crops were jammed full of soybeans which were nasty and fermented. My guess is that they were starving, not because they weren't getting enough to eat, but rather perhaps they hadn't learned to eat grit that is necessary to grind up their food. If they had been raised on processed soybean meal and not been exposed to grit, I could see that happening. I should have examined their gizzards, but didn't think to at the time.

I have shot pheasants for years that have been feeding on soybeans and later in the season when you normally see fat accumulation, where you see yellow fat that is from corn and birds feeding on Soybeans normally is more of a whitish color.

Interesting observations..Pen-raised birds sure are dumb. I wouldn't be surprised if finding or consuming adequate grit isn't an evolutionary trait inherent to wild birds, as are countless other survival instincts lacking in pen-raised birds. I too have noticed the white bean fat vs yellow corn fat. But fat is fat - and it's quite obvious wild birds can metabolize beans. The modern-day pheasant landscape, in MN at least, consists nearly exclusively of corn/bean rotation farming. This, coupled with the severity of our winters means pheasants would be long gone if consuming beans caused wide-spread starvation. It's a fact that in countless areas of the pheasant belt beans are the only winter food available every other year - and pheasants do just fine. I believe those who believe beans are bad for birds are misinformed and obviously not experienced pheasant hunters.

Last edited:
My question is if they cannot eat soybeans why is the state filling our game production areas with Soybeans? For the deer maybe? They should be able to eat them correct?

Cant answer for sure, but commonly soybeans are a pre cursor to a native grass/forb frost planting the for the following year. Maybe?

Cant answer for sure, but commonly soybeans are a pre cursor to a native grass/forb frost planting the for the following year. Maybe?

Soybean stubble is the best prep for a native grass/forb seed bed. And yes I have heard this rumor about soybean fields and birds before from a biologist.

Back