Southern MN Birds

FCSpringer

I think the birds in Sth MN are fairing very well. They had some warm ups and there is plenty of dirt showing in the fields. I am seeing allot of birds when going back and fourth from the south to home. Good signs that all is not lost yet.

Farmers down this way are great about tossing corn in the fields for deer and birds all winter. I see 15-20 birds every morning on my walk with the dog and even more when driving from the farm into town.

Looks like 8+ inches more by tomorrow for SW Minnesota. Sure not going to help the birds. We're getting a similar amount here in SD also. We are going to need a heck of a warm spell to melt all this snow for our UPH get together on April 2nd by Granite Falls.

We are going to need a heck of a warm spell to melt all this snow for our UPH get together on April 2nd by Granite Falls.

Providing Granite Falls isn't already under water from the projected spring flooding this year. Their forecasting some of the worst flooding in some time.

Im glad people are seeing birds as long as they dont seem desperate?This will be two years in a row of bad winters for the southern range population.

Yea april will be interesting, Kal I am in Fairmont working. This snow sucks, it was heavy too all day, I guess some report a foot and it will still snow all night. What a joke, this is getting old. Every time we get a break here it comes again. I did not see the birds being desprate, they all looked great. Hopefully they get a warm up in a short while again to get the fields bare again. I guess I should have not brought up the subject:D sure enough it snowed. But I have no TV so I don't know what the hell is going on till it happens:D.

As long as 30% of the hens survive the winter, the pheasant population will return to the same level as the year before. Let's hope for a decent nesting season.

Wire.

Back