South Dakota via Albuquerque

Hubsker

Hi all. I am planning to travel to Colo Springs for Thanksgiving (watch Colorado Buffs play the Huskers too), then up to SD for the first time the week after. I am going to be traveling with my hunting partner, Sadie. We plan to leave Sunday morning for SD, then hunt Mon-Fri and spend Fri night and Sat to get home.

Our current plan is to stay in cheap motels, get meals from the grocery store, and hunt walk-ins and possibly meet a few nice farmers needing to rid themselves of some pheasant.

I am looking for all the info and ideas I can get. I need to know if what I have planned so far is a good idea (will weather be too big a factor, etc.). Coming from Colo, how far in to SD do I need to go? What part of the state? What counties? Specifics are welcome.

One last thing, for a guy from Albuquerque, you guys are often my link to the old days. Thanks for your stories and pics about pheasants.

One more last thing, I am thinking about doing the same thing in Kansas after Christmas and would welcome info there as well. Last year I hunted one day with Cocklebur Creek Hunting Service in Larned, KS, but will stick to the free stuff this year (gas and shells will cost enough). I thought it was a great hunt at a better price with a nice family. It was the first time I tried this, unfortunately I got clobbered by that snow/ice storm the second day there. I got as far home as the east New Mexico boarder and spent three days there waiting for them to clear the roads. I was able to get home New Years eve. Sadie was a great source of entertainment for everyone stuck with me as we went out to work with the dummies a few times a day. Thanks much.

Being a SD first timer ( I'm writing this from the EconoLodge in Mitchell) I have had a tought time on public land. I've also had a tough time on private land. Hope to change that tomorrow.

Since I've been here 3 days, my advice is to pay to get on some good land.

I'm sure the walk in areas will have birds on them but when you are a visitor you only have so much time. GOOD LUCK and safe travels!

Public lands are usually walked so much that the birds know better than to sit in there. I have yet to hear someone say they were happy with their "public land hunt". Shoot me an email sitzdown@gmail.com, or give me a call 605-323-9499, We have over 1,500 acres of private ground that we guide on! You will be sure to see more than enough birds to get your limit!!

South Dakota Public Hunting

Public lands are usually walked so much that the birds know better than to sit in there. I have yet to hear someone say they were happy with their "public land hunt".

Agreed. Not a fan of the public. There are some honey holes here and there that get less traffic than most, but most are just pounded with hunters.

The first time I ever hunted in South Dakota or even pheasant hunting for that matter was on public ground off of I90 in White Lake. My roomates chose the place, so I didn't know what I was getting into. We drove the whole way to see 2 hens and hunted all day. I just thought that this is absolutely rediculous. All I could hear was WWIII in the background from other hunters shooting. I told them, I want to go where those guys are hunting at!

However, on the flip side, I have seen some guys hit some over hunted public ground in SD and come back with their limit. Mind you, they had 2 phenomenal dogs. If you have a dog that is so, so, I wouldn't waste the time.

You will be sure to see more than enough birds to get your limit!!

"See" is the key word there... ha ha.

Hubsker:
Give me a shout off the list at Bullmoose45@gmail.com.
I train my dogs as often as I can on the Public lands in SD.
We went out last weekend and passed on several Roosters just because the dogs did not find them. I am training two Pups this year.
But anyway I can guide you to the right areas and most of the time I can tell you where the birds are.
I sat on this one Public patch the other evening and watched the birds fly back into it for an hour, probably 40-50 of them. The birds were feeding on a private milo field but were nesting in the tall grass on the CRP plot.
Anyway you give me a shout and I'll do what I can for you and Sadie.
Oh yes bring all your clothes for SD hunting we never leave the house without our cold weather clothes bag.
Ken

Ken, thanks for the reply. I sent you a reply from work and included my home email. Please use the home email address to reply as I am off until Sunday.

Back