South Dakota Road Trip 13-15 Mar

sdviking

Wow what a weekend, first off the weather was fantastic for March 50-70 degrees. We drove up from Kansas to Souix Falls to Watertown to Redfield to Aberdeen to Mobridge to Isabelle, to Red Owl to Chamberlain to Sioux Falls. Crazy I know. We saw some pheasants on the eastern side of the state and the typical Spring migration of waterfowl. The surprise came when we hit Mobridge and traveled west to Timberlake. There were times we were seeing 4-5 pheasants in the ditch every half mile. The habitat was fantastic, the birds were plentiful and healthy as ever. I was truely impressed. So I tip my hat to the folks working in that area to improve habitat conditions, it is paying off with a lot of birds. viking

Wow what a weekend, first off the weather was fantastic for March 50-70 degrees. We drove up from Kansas to Souix Falls to Watertown to Redfield to Aberdeen to Mobridge to Isabelle, to Red Owl to Chamberlain to Sioux Falls. Crazy I know. We saw some pheasants on the eastern side of the state and the typical Spring migration of waterfowl. The surprise came when we hit Mobridge and traveled west to Timberlake. There were times we were seeing 4-5 pheasants in the ditch every half mile. The habitat was fantastic, the birds were plentiful and healthy as ever. I was truely impressed. So I tip my hat to the folks working in that area to improve habitat conditions, it is paying off with a lot of birds. viking

Let me get this right... You drove up from Kansas just to take a road trip around SD to look at habitat and bird numbers? Part of me says that is some awesome dedication and I'm jealous, part of me says you need a new hobby for your free time.. I'd like to suggest fishing?

LOL well not quite

My daughter is going to school in Watertown, and her Boyfriend lives in Mobridge, and we had to deliver her and her horse to Red Owl for a Spring internship. So there was some reason for the crazy trip. I would like to do it again but this time on Harleys when it's a little nicer out... I love South Dakota! Viking

Hey, I'm about to take off on a 10 day road trip. Couple days of business out in Central MT. Then it's into the back country. Including Eastern MT Western ND and some SD, won't be much time spent in town, remote camping. You can learn a LOT about what's going on with habitat and wildlife with observation.
Why do I do this? cause I can. :cheers:

I'll be back in MN in time for "soft water" :)

Born to hunt, forced to work

Both of those road trips sound like a great way to see some country. Too many people go from one place to another without ever seeing what they're going through. If I didn't have to work to make a living and my wife would enjoy a road trip now and then, I'd be on the road some, too. One of my favorite SD hunts was taking 5 days and traveling the east half of the state, hunting as I went, hunting atlas in hand.

April

Looks like farmers are out in the fields preparing for planting. Some wheat and oats already going in. It's dry, but some are still burning sloughs. Hope the Farmers have a good Spring and recieve some much needed rain.

Back