South Dakota Regulations

Chuck Isaac

I have read the South Dakota rules on small game hunting, and I can't seem to find an answer to my question. Can someone on the forum, give me the answer on the number of shells in the magazine of a shotgun. Here in Penn., we are limited to three shells in the gun, one in the chamber, and two in the magazine.
Thanks too All- Chuck Isaac

I've hunted pheasant there for 20+ years. They've never had a limit on the number of shells in a gun for pheasant that I can recall. Friends would shoot Browning A-5s because of that.

For pheasant hunting in SD, you can have 5. I have used a Browning A-5 for years in SD. Pops and grandpa did as well. However when i go to ND, you must have a plug in your magazine so it can only hold 2 (plus 1 in the chamber).

Unfortunately I did not know this my first year out in ND and I posted a GoPro video online of some of our hunting clips...8 months later I got a call from a DNR officer and got a nice little ticket in the mail :eek:

For pheasant hunting in SD, you can have 5.

That is not correct. There is no limit on the number of shells you can have in your gun. I know guys that have Benelli's and purchase magazine extenders so they can put 7-8 in the mag. Never seen the need myself.

Unfortunately I did not know this my first year out in ND and I posted a GoPro video online of some of our hunting clips...8 months later I got a call from a DNR officer and got a nice little ticket in the mail :eek:

Busteeeeeedddd:D

lol always helps to read a rule book... lol snitched on your self that a good lesson learned... but u still need to read the sd rule book no limit on number of shells in magazine in sd...

ND Game and Fish has done much to keep things simple.

Plug in for all bird hunting, same hours for all birds (except geese close at 1), no party hunting for any birds (waterfowl or upland). Makes for less excuses or claim of ignorance when ...

The one main thing ND G&F has not done yet to further simplify the regs is to go universal (statewide all land) on steel shot.

..., no party hunting for any birds (waterfowl or upland). ...

Please excuse my ignorance. What is 'party hunting' ????

EDIT: I just looked it up. Doh! ... I'd rather hunt alone with only a dog. Most enjoyable. If they did that rule here in SD. It would get rid of alot of the idiots on opening day. They never even bring a dog.

Last edited:
That's something we are really careful of in groups (party hunting). Most people's dogs only retrieve to them, they don't know or care who actually shot the bird. We're not trying to party hunt, but it kind of works that way on a temporary basis until birds get to the proper owners.

I try to get the person's bird to them ASAP, I don't want to be walking around when the game warden shows up with more than the daily limit of birds in my bag!

When we are on opposite sides of a coulee with the dogs working the bottom, we are sometimes pushing things a for a bit until we link up again if we get a lot of action.

Party hunting is where the person's daily is combined with every one in the group to form a combined daily limit. If there are five in your hunting party then one person could legally shoot all 15 birds (3 bird limit). He may have issues with those in his party. ;)

It is illegal for any one in any state to shoot waterfowl for another person. Federal law trumps state laws.

Upland is governed by the state. Minnesota and South Dakota allow party hunting for upland birds. North Dakota does not and every year a few nonresidents get caught with over limits (thinking their party was under).

The no party hunting rule is tough to enforce unless you are being watched or someone carelessly tells the ND warden that he shot "6 of those 15 roosters" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The plug issue is another rule varying from state to state. Even ND allows spring snow goose hunters to take out the plug ...

Back