South Dakota Crop Development Rockin

UGUIDE

Just looked at this weeks report. Big change over last year is that the crops one on pace with the 5 year average and way ahead of last years pace.

There's enough ground moisture that is the heat keeps up it should finish these crops early this year.

Here's another interesting twist in the crop scenario for this fall. Landowners in Edmunds county tell me that only 1/3 of the acres that would normally get planted to corn did not. This menas that a large percent of those fields are etiehr fallow (prevent plant) or in soybeans which normally get harvested early anyway. What a difference a year makes. Landowners in that area think we will have a banner year for pheasants. Landwoners in the Lymon county area think we had a better hatch this year than last which is hard to believe considering the all time high numbers in that area last fall.

Minnesota crops are even further ahead and they better start building grain bins because I think some harvest records and going to get busted again.

Duck hunting in the Dakota's should be some of the best ever based on grounfd water levels during prime nesting season and also water levels across the states where seasonal sloughs that are normally wet will now be full of water.

:thumbsup:

Hey Chris,

We're coming out this year to hunt pheasants but would like to do waterfowl also if possible. If we missed the July 9th deadline are we toast?

This is going to the the year of all years, just might have to try to get fired so I can have the entire fall off and if our representatives follow through with entending unemployment would not have to get a job for a couple of years!

Yippee.

Kidding aside looking forward to a tremendous season. Crops are well on their way to being harvested early!

Thanks for the news Uguide. I've been hunting SD in December the past couple of years because of the late harvest. Sounds like there's a chance to head out in Nov this year. Love the news on the bird #'s!:thumbsup:

That's obvious, just didn't know if they had any over-the-counter permits available after the drawing...:)

Sorry for asking a question with an obvious answer....

Hey Terry I kinda know were you were coming from. I know in Wisconsin they have turkey permit deadlines. If not all tags/lis. are filled there's dates set aside for a second chance at a permit. Don't think they have that in SD though.

Take it easy on yourself man. Not a dumb question and was worth asking. :) --1Pheas4

That's obvious, just didn't know if they had any over-the-counter permits available after the drawing...:)

Sorry for asking a question with an obvious answer....

I am just frustrated that you can buy over the counter in ND but not in SD.

There are usually not any left over licenses for non-residents. They all go on the first draw.

You're question is fair. I just made some assumptions that I shouldn't have.

There are different zones for different waterfowl tags and you are certainly welcome to check on leftovers but from what I saw last year it is not a good proposition.

Last edited:
Thanks for the news Uguide. I've been hunting SD in December the past couple of years because of the late harvest. Sounds like there's a chance to head out in Nov this year. Love the news on the bird #'s!:thumbsup:

Keep in mind that a wet fall with through that all out the window as it has the last 2 years.

But....as I look at the 10 day forecast it continues to be ideal...highs in 80's...lows in 60's.....and a 30-40% chance of rain each day. That will keep the crop and the hatch advancing nicely.

Back