South dakota (and north) roadside survey.

Uh, regarding Watertown. I know someone who shoots a LOT of pheasants within 30 miles of it. Mostly public land birds. In recent years, I've hunted up there with him once a year. Just driving around I've seen more birds (& fewer hunters) there than in the areas further south, where I typically hunt, which are pretty decent to begin with. Codington County may not be the best place in the state, but it's far from dismal. I know that sounds like some pretty serious hot spotting, but it really has no affect on the hunting. Anyone who wants to hunt "my" spots by Salem, Ramona, & Colman is welcome to them. They're public.

Edit....ope, I see the harvest map & report are out. 37 birds per square mile shot in Codington County last season.
These people are going to show up,regardless of this thing.Every year I see more.I wonder if there are some people named Wiesner, around watertown?

Golden Hour... have you & your videos been fooling us the last several years? I was of the understanding that the majority of the pheasants you shoot every year come from public land, primarily WPAs, almost all within 30 miles of Watertown, all season long. And I know you're generally not hunting more than a couple/few hours to shoot those birds, usually walking considerably less than 5 miles a hunt. And your videos indicate good numbers of pheasants in those areas. Are you, in fact, hunting cherry, unpressured private land all season long? Or are the people that say there aren't many birds around those areas simply not hunting them the right way or at the right times of day? I mean, I honestly think in general Codington County public land is equal to or better than much of the public land I commonly hunt in Moody & Lake Counties. And I feel like I see/shoot plenty of pheasants in those "dismal" spots. Time to

Golden Hour... have you & your videos been fooling us the last several years? I was of the understanding that the majority of the pheasants you shoot every year come from public land, primarily WPAs, almost all within 30 miles of Watertown, all season long. And I know you're generally not hunting more than a couple/few hours to shoot those birds, usually walking considerably less than 5 miles a hunt. And your videos indicate good numbers of pheasants in those areas. Are you, in fact, hunting cherry, unpressured private land all season long? Or are the people that say there aren't many birds around those areas simply not hunting them the right way or at the right times of day? I mean, I honestly think in general Codington County public land is equal to or better than much of the public land I commonly hunt in Moody & Lake Counties. And I feel like I see/shoot plenty of pheasants in those "dismal" spots. Time to come clean, GH.
He must be on private land.

Sure, 50 miles west of Kampeska.

You stick to ur story but anybody who thinks you have to get clear out by the Jim river in SD to find many pheasants has a bad idea of how/where/when to find pheasants. The hiway 81 corridor is pretty damn good from Summit clear down to Yankton. Might have to know something about phez & work a little, but if you ain't willing you don't deserve to kill them..

Back