South Dakota 1st timer, HELP???

FieldKing

I am debating jumping in the truck with my dog and heading to SD for Phez, I plan on lots of back road learning first time, but any tips will be appreciated, my questions are: which area/county has a lot of public hunting areas that hold some birds? cheap motel in the area? is ditch hunting allowed (is landowner permission needed)? Any good lead on a farm with lots of wild birds that will allow me to hunt for $100 to $125 a day? I may do that for 2 of the days!

Place to Hunt

Check out this operation in Ashton. It's where I'll be hunting next week.

There isn't a lot of public land in SD. Hunting road ditches is legal, you don't need land owner permission. However, you can't shoot close to farms and livestock so check the hunting reg's book you get when you buy your license.

http://www.doublejhunts.com/

Lock and Load! :D

Last edited:
Fieldking,
You need to check the regs, you can only hunt 33 feet from the center line of a road, so don't try to get to close to the fence line as you could be in trouble, a buddy of mine got a ticket from A game warden for tresspassing because he was over the 33 ft. barrier. The bird has to take flight in that 33 ft area to shoot it or flying accross the road to yourside and must be shot in your area. You can not be closer than a certain distance from homes, cattle and such and shoot a bird. You need to check the regs so you don't land up like my buddy.

Check the regs

I went to SD for the first time last year myself. Ended up going alone, everyone had things come up. I had a GREAT time. Great people and tons of birds. Make sure you look close at the maps so your not on reservation land if your going to run ditches. A friend of mine got in a big mess with that about 4 years ago.

I went to SD for the first time last year myself. Ended up going alone, everyone had things come up. I had a GREAT time. Great people and tons of birds. Make sure you look close at the maps so your not on reservation land if your going to run ditches. A friend of mine got in a big mess with that about 4 years ago.

So no hunting road ditches on reservations? If reservation license is hunting ditches allowed?

So no hunting road ditches on reservations? If reservation license is hunting ditches allowed?

One option might be to get a reservation license. Good for the whole year and you have access to lots of land depending on the reservation you hunt.

If you come later in the season go to one of the small town bars around happy hour and there will probably be a farmer in there that can set you fairly cheap, early season no way but in december it can be done.

Back