"Sooty" Blue Grouse

Was going on 3 years now and havent downed a blue grouse yet in the tahoe national forest, I've seen only a few while deer hunting.

So, my first enconter with a blue was deer hunting in TNF, while getting back to the landcruiser I heard wings flapping so put the rifle away and got out the trusty o'l 28ga. thinking some blue's flew up a red fir, well one did an when I walked up hill to were I thought he was, it bolted out of that fir like nothing I've seen before, fired 1oz. of 6's, then in between tree's fired #2 barrel........that big plump blue just keep on going.....

The next morn. while deer hunting I saw a blue driving on dirt road mabey 75ft. away, pulled over, had to get 28ga. out from case, put it together, put vest on. load it.....ect ect. then finally started to go in area were I last saw him, and thought, like pheasant hunting he's probably RUNNING way ahead of me, through forest...nope, almost walked on him and he flew behind me down hil, not even getting a chance to shoot....rats!

Soooo, 3 years later, went 2nd week of opener grouse. Had cousin with me, he wanted to take one two, if possible. We headed out to the sierra nevada mt. range and got to a place were some deer hunters said they saw a bunch of blue's last year, humm, sounded like a good area.

Set up camp then found trail head and started our journey to were hunters said they saw all those grouse...camp was at 6000ft. and the trail takes us up to over 8000ft. Man this trail dont get used, had a heck of a time trying to find our way to the top, thick forest. Made it to top, no grouse in site...but what a view!!! Walked ridge a bit, then had to turn around and head back because it was a good 2 miles back down and we were hurting bad, blisters barking loud.

IMG_0705.jpg

Feeling very discouraged, and sore, we decided to just hunt a bit around camp, by the creek with elderberry's when just 80yrds from camp we kicked up two blues, (are you kidding me, 5 mi. round trip yesterday and there in camp?) boom, cousin blasts 1st then 2nd barrel...miss..both flew up in different tree's, I could see one barley sticking neak out and fired # 6's from remmy 12er......dropped it, got across creek and what a beauty my first sooty blue grouse a female. We kicked up 4 that day, only one in bag.

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Now on to next week.... I went to a different area, hopeing to bag another.
Elevation was a bit higher, camp was 7000ft. wanted to hike up old mining trail and see if any blue's would be in the area, got to the top of ridge and beautful veiw, looking down on the north fork of the american river.

IMG_0757.jpg

While on top of ridge, I could hear some snapping sounds up and below a white fit tree, when all of a sudden at almost at the top of tree, a male grouse came around on branch getting a side view, bam, my 12er goes off, dropping him with #6's out of that 125ft. fir, boy did he fall far!!!...went to get bird down hill a bit, when another blue flushed to right, got gun up and fired, feathers floating...but no blue, just winged it a touch....wow what a day. Finaly got my sooty blue's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Behind this pic about 100yrds or so is were I shot the blue and almost another.
IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful photos. Congrats on the blues. Thanks for sharing :)

Ditto, man that sure looks like rugged country.....Bob

Great story and :coolpics:. I have not been so lucky, I have yet to happen upon a grouse while with my dog and scattergun during early mountain quail season.:( The only one I have potted was with my 243 while deer hunting. I aimed for his head and figured I would either decapitate him or miss clean. A finer rifle shot I have not made ( I'm better with a lot of lead flying:D) and I killed him clean. Great camp meat. We don't have a whole lot around here and I've always wanted to head that way for a better crack at one, but its hard to leave our healthy mtn quail populations around here during that time of year.

Great story and :coolpics:. I have not been so lucky, I have yet to happen upon a grouse while with my dog and scattergun during early mountain quail season.:( The only one I have potted was with my 243 while deer hunting. I aimed for his head and figured I would either decapitate him or miss clean. A finer rifle shot I have not made ( I'm better with a lot of lead flying:D) and I killed him clean. Great camp meat. We don't have a whole lot around here and I've always wanted to head that way for a better crack at one, but its hard to leave our healthy mtn quail populations around here during that time of year.

Qh, there was alot of mountain quail while looking for grouse...coveys of 20+....we got 5 or 6 ;)

QH, We could use another hunter with dog, lots of forest to cover.
My cousin has new dog were going to bring there this season to help flush up some blues.

sooty- there are tons of blues and ruffies within a couple miles of my home. I have definately shot them out of trees before. I didn't mean anything by my comment. These days though, I'd rather go home empty handed, and I can't remember the last time I tree sluiced one.
Try it next time, its fun. Throw the stick at them. When they drop off the branch, they get moving REAL fast!:eek: Now I'm trying to get the gun up and get on em'. Ya right!:D
I always get a laugh out of it!

Anyhow, your second bird there was a beauty. Looked like a nice mature blue.:thumbsup:

JS, just egging you on ;)
Me and cousin said we would take em anyway we can, ground sluice, tree and hardest...flying. The terrain were I hunt is very wooded and steep here, very hard to find blue's...mountain quail easer to find, but same rules apply for them as well.

Dove is different story, we only shot them in air and not out of tree's, no need to, you will get your limit in under a hour...10 a day.

Blues really get you up into some fantastic country.
Good pics, good birds.
Can I ask? why the rubber gloves?

Blues really get you up into some fantastic country.
Good pics, good birds.
Can I ask? why the rubber gloves?

I was waiting for someone to ask me that, your the first, so you win a smoked grouse!!! :)

I like to use gloves for cleaning birds at camp, no mess, and I was low on water.

Qh, there was alot of mountain quail while looking for grouse...coveys of 20+....we got 5 or 6 ;)

QH, We could use another hunter with dog, lots of forest to cover.
My cousin has new dog were going to bring there this season to help flush up some blues.

I never pass on an opportunity to hunt some new ground. I know its still a long way out but I hope you were serious because I'm already looking forward to it.:thumbsup:

I was waiting for someone to ask me that, your the first, so you win a smoked grouse!!! :)

I like to use gloves for cleaning birds at camp, no mess, and I was low on water.

Good enough, Blues are good eating, haven't had them smoked.

Simply amazing photos! I can only imagine what that would be like...hopefully someday I'll get the chance to do it. Thanks a bunch for sharing:thumbsup:

Some more pics of my Sooty blue's and mountain quail hunting grounds. Oh, first pic is snow coming my way...burrrr...

005-1.jpg

IMG_0492-1.jpg

Last edited:
I never pass on an opportunity to hunt some new ground. I know its still a long way out but I hope you were serious because I'm already looking forward to it.:thumbsup:

Brotha QH, yep you got the invite, you have the same passion for upland game birds like my cousin and me, you will fit right in :) Oh, and you are young and strong and can carry us out of those steep canyons...LOL..:D

Brotha QH, yep you got the invite, you have the same passion for upland game birds like my cousin and me, you will fit right in :) Oh, and you are young and strong and can carry us out of those steep canyons...LOL..:D

Young? Yes. Dumb? Maybe ( I do hunt chukar).:D Strong? I'm not sure. Right now I only weigh about 140lbs so if you guys weigh much more than that I'll just leave you there and go for help.:thumbsup:

Young? Yes. Dumb? Maybe ( I do hunt chukar).:D Strong? I'm not sure. Right now I only weigh about 140lbs so if you guys weigh much more than that I'll just leave you there and go for help.:thumbsup:

lololol...:D

Boy Its so easy chasing birds down those canyons, then you look up :eek: and wonder how you going to get back up.

Back