Some hope for NE KS

kick them up

Well by what I have witnessed this spring I tend to believe that there is some hope for NE KS birds. I have been turkey hunting a lot and Saturday I was almost deafened by the call of bobwhite quail:thumbsup:. I had a male bob maybe 10 feet from me and he was making more racket than my turkey calls. My turkeys call did work to bring in two nice toms for my landowner buddy who promptly blew the shot at forty yards:eek:.

I sat out yesterday morning as well and heard a lot of quail and several rooster crowing too! I also witnessed a rooster chasing a hen last week in Jeff Co as well :cheers: I also have a covey on my farm that has not been there before:)

Looking forward to fall!

Kick'em Up!

Quail are definitely on the comeback in eastern Kansas. There are more pairs running around on the road, and I hear more whistling than I have in maybe a decade or more. It is really good to see. Even people that I talk to that don't hunt comment on how the quail are coming back.

Well by what I have witnessed this spring I tend to believe that there is some hope for NE KS birds. I have been turkey hunting a lot and Saturday I was almost deafened by the call of bobwhite quail:thumbsup:. I had a male bob maybe 10 feet from me and he was making more racket than my turkey calls. My turkeys call did work to bring in two nice toms for my landowner buddy who promptly blew the shot at forty yards:eek:.

I sat out yesterday morning as well and heard a lot of quail and several rooster crowing too! I also witnessed a rooster chasing a hen last week in Jeff Co as well :cheers: I also have a covey on my farm that has not been there before:)

Looking forward to fall!

Kick'em Up!

Thanks for the input and hope for the season to come , Bobwhite and pheasant my favorite combo !!!

I'm really looking forward to a 3 day weekend outdoors!:thumbsup: I went camping with friends at my farm a couple weeks ago and couldn't confirm I heard any quail. Whenever I thought I might have heard one I would stop for awhile and listen, and never heard them when I was paying attention.

The barred owls were going nuts at night. :eek: No mistaking that call. :laugh: WHO COOKS FOR YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!

I've done some driving around on my last couple of trips north from my place and I've seen a number of roosters. I saw 6 roosters and 3 hens in one field last Wednesday. I'm in a county mentioned above...I don't want to get anyone excited enough to change plans for a Western KS trip. I like to keep the few roosters we have safe! But seriously, I've seen more roosters each of the last three years. Things are definitely getting better in NE KS after many years of abysmal numbers.

haven't heard any significant weather impacts for this years hatch except the cover is looking pretty good.

haven't heard any significant weather impacts for this years hatch except the cover is looking pretty good.

Was out at farm again last weekend after the 6 inch rain came thru last week and still heard a bunch of calling from both Quail and Roosters. :thumbsup:

Hoping the rains delay the wheat harvest so the birds have a chance. Some wheat I saw was turning.

The reports I am getting are not good at all. The rains were huge and flooding was a problem. Quail whistling and roosters crowing have little to do with survival rate of eggs and young chicks.

Wheat is a week or 2 out in SEK, but it is going to take it a while to dry out. We have had rain 10 of the last 14 days.

As soon as the combines won't sink up to their axles when they pull into the fields there will be some wheat getting cut in my part of SEK. I'm guessing if the rains stay away for a few days, somewhere about Tuesday there will be someone testing the mud.

As soon as the combines won't sink up to their axles when they pull into the fields there will be some wheat getting cut in my part of SEK. I'm guessing if the rains stay away for a few days, somewhere about Tuesday there will be someone testing the mud.

This morning it rained like buckets and was the 7th day in a row of rain. On Wednesday, we got 2 inches in 15 minutes. While its not flooding, we are soaked. Have not been able to get into the garden since May 10th.

Haven't heard any reports on quail numbers or nests yet, but the combines started rolling around home on Monday. Lots of people mowing hay also.

Back