Snowcock Opener narrative

Snowcock

Photo 4337 view looking up slope from my campsite.
4350 at ridgetop looking down into typical Snowcock habitat, only bird I ever bagged in 8 hunts was on ridge top on left side of photo.
4355 down slope and looking up for the climb out.
As all can see, this area is spring time green, flowers blooming, berry bushes loaded for the birds, they could stay in the safety of the ledges out of the hot sun and lots of feed. I hunted 1 1/2days toes were bloody from the steep descents pushing my toes into the front of my hikers, so by day 2 it was time to call it a hunt, these are 100% hunts by that I mean the body has to be at top function, feet, legs etc. Played it safe and packed out to live and hunt another time.

I was a wildlife major in college , I remember the day a professor talked about the Himalayan Snowcock. They have been on my dream / bucket list ever since. Did you mount the one you shot?

I was a wildlife major in college , I remember the day a professor talked about the Himalayan Snowcock. They have been on my dream / bucket list ever since. Did you mount the one you shot?
No I didn't have it mounted, like many game birds early in the season the head was pin-feathers, the taxidermist I consulted with didn't think he keep those in place with a mount. Hindsight wish I had. You must be an English Setter man? How many what state? bloodlines? I have three English, one Gordon. All were pups in Idaho, and hunted there, before moving to Nevada

Tennessee. Tomoka line but he died back in march. Was 15. I have a liver GSP female now. I had the first sharp tailed grouse I ever killed mounted , it was early and the feathers are really thin. Lots have fallen out on the head and neck.

Hey SC, maybe it is just me, but I don't see any attachments...the pics. They sound like a challenge for sure!

Back