Snow

Chessie 67

Left Colorado yesterday AM to make a stab of it in Kansas for the weekend. Tractor trailers and cars were off the road quite a bit for about a 60 mile stretch. Got to my destination around 3:30, unloaded my truck and got ready for the Golden Hour. Boots on the ground at 4. Flushed a bunch(you wouldn’t believe me if I told you how many cause there’s no birds in Kansas) but they were all super wild, even with the quiet walking conditions. Woke to a couple fresh inches of snow and can hardly wait for shooting light!

Had a great day yesterday. The birds are super wild out in the open fields-just me and my dog-no talking, whistling or anything. If you can get your dog deep enough into the phragmites, the birds are there. quail were there too, phragmites and plumb thickets; pushed 8 decent sized coveys. Ended up with 2 Roosters(should have had 3) and 6 quail. I didn’t shoot at quail if they were too far in the phragmites.

Had a great day yesterday. The birds are super wild out in the open fields-just me and my dog-no talking, whistling or anything. If you can get your dog deep enough into the phragmites, the birds are there. quail were there too, phragmites and plumb thickets; pushed 8 decent sized coveys. Ended up with 2 Roosters(should have had 3) and 6 quail. I didn’t shoot at quail if they were too far in the phragmites.
chessie phragmites are tough! Sounds like a phenomenal week

The one time I hunted KS with a decent snow on was great. Would you describe what phragmites are?
Chessie probably won’t be back on until the morning. Illl be around some here after while I’ll see if I can remember to get you a picture.
They look a lot like cattails only taller and thicker and they like it a little bit drier. Youll find them mixed together in the draws with the phragmites higher up the edges and closer to the top of draws. They’ve gone crazy this year after the drought. There pretty much impenetrable for man and a tough work out for a dog

You still out chessie? Boy the roads got nasty didn’t they. I ended up with one out of some cattails and a couple out of a tumbleweed pond.
I’ve got 2 days left on my Nebraska license. I’m going to head up there and see if I can get around a little better

Yesterday morning was a little slow with just one covey/1 quail harvested. Hunted the afternoon at a spot that wasn’t hunted til after deer season and had a blast. Bagged 4 Roosters and a limit on quail. Really fun. Everything came out of the grass, scenting conditions were perfect. The roads did get horrible. Today is the last day, but it has been a great hunt! Looks like you’ve been doing good too!

Those phragmites can be ridiculous. Seem to be 10’ tall and so thick you can’t hardly force your way thru and forget about mounting a gun.
Got out Thursday morning and got 2 right away. Didn’t have another rooster in gun range in the next day and half of hard hunting. Did see probably close to 30 at sundown flying from Milo into the field I was in but they didn’t want to play nice and I ran out of shooting light.

Yesterday morning was a little slow with just one covey/1 quail harvested. Hunted the afternoon at a spot that wasn’t hunted til after deer season and had a blast. Bagged 4 Roosters and a limit on quail. Really fun. Everything came out of the grass, scenting conditions were perfect. The roads did get horrible. Today is the last day, but it has been a great hunt! Looks like you’ve been doing good too!
That's awesome Chessie! A limit on quail and pheasant in a day these days is quite an accomplishment.

Two in the bag and a lost rooster. First one since we lost some on a bad day at the end of Oct. . I hate when my peake gets worked up like that. It just compounds itself she’s so fired up it carries over starts leading to wild flushes and long shots and the cripples can stack up.
I put her up yesterday after it happened and hunted my Boykin, Ironically I crippled one and without Roo in there messing it up Walls ended up trailing it over a hundred

Fought my way through the drifts today. Only got in one walk but it was a couple of miles.
Saw some tracks but couldn’t pin them down. Snow was a hard crust and I post holed for most of my walk. The dogs were struggling trying to stay on the scent of the birds who were obviously running in front of us. Never managed to get a flush before they slipped over into private property. One plus to the day was it cold and the roads never thawed. Actually they were much better than I expected as many of the side roads were dry with occasional melting snow drifts. Hope some of the snow will melt and give some better walking conditions.

Fought my way through the drifts today. Only got in one walk but it was a couple of miles.
Saw some tracks but couldn’t pin them down. Snow was a hard crust and I post holed for most of my walk. The dogs were struggling trying to stay on the scent of the birds who were obviously running in front of us. Never managed to get a flush before they slipped over into private property. One plus to the day was it cold and the roads never thawed. Actually they were much better than I expected as many of the side roads were dry with occasional melting snow drifts. Hope some of the snow will melt and give some better walking conditions.

Does anyone have a farming solution to the phragmites? We have had a couple of draws in rooks county taken over by them. Great deer and deep pheasant cover but impossible to hunt. Have them disced under? Burn them (has been really difficult to attempt as dry as it’s been?) leave a portion or attempt to get rid of all of them?

Does anyone have a farming solution to the phragmites? We have had a couple of draws in rooks county taken over by them. Great deer and deep pheasant cover but impossible to hunt. Have them disced under? Burn them (has been really difficult to attempt as dry as it’s been?) leave a portion or attempt to get rid of all of them?
You can probably pound them down with cattle

Back