Snow update

mike m

Plan on travelling from Illinois to Murray County Mn to pheasant hunt starting Monday the 16th. Saw a lot of snow fell early this week. Farmer said 6 inches. Can anyone update me on how much snow is still on the ground and how huntable it is before I make the long drive.

Snow will dissipate quickly with sunshine and warmer temps this week.

Unfortunately in prairie country the fields blow pretty clean and the snow ends up in the grass and other cover. Be careful on the sloughs and marshes. They are not frozen through - most will have week spots.

Just because there's snow on the ground doesn't mean you can't hunt. The grass was flattened already a month ago with heavy snow.

Just because there's snow on the ground doesn't mean you can't hunt. The grass was flattened already a month ago with heavy snow.
I know I’m handicap and follow my dogs on an ATV and it’s an 8 Hour Dr. New it would likely melt this week and if I could come back next week it would be easier to get around without a lot of snow on the ground. Are you still seeing birds after that initial heavy snow

The grass has rebounded "OK" from the two snow events (Oct and last week) ... better than I thought it would.

I like hunting in snow, but it is preferred after December 1 and definitely not in October.

I went yesterday for about 3 hours and there's still some snow where I hunt in central MN. Areas that receive a lot of sunlight are fully melted but areas in the shade still have a couple inches. With the warmth in the forecast I would say it will almost all be gone in a couple days. We need a good freeze. Its a mud hole out there right now and some rock solid ground would be beneficial to walk on instead of mushy soft stuff.

Back