Snow depths/minimum maintenance roads

rangerman

Considering a run to sd the last five days of the season. Inquiring about
1. snow depths in grasslands
2. Minimum maintenance roads
3. Icing on top of snow cutting dog pads

Looking at east river - south of I90.

Advice?

I’m north of 90 and East River. Many roads are impassable. Once you’re over the drifts the walking isn’t bad. Dogs are ok, I have booties on one of my 2. Birds are bunched up…if you can get into smaller #’s of birds it’s better. We just spent 90 minutes and came out with 3…just 2 of us, didn’t hunt these spots optimally, but that happens…never easy with crusty snow!

Doesn't sound like a trip that I should undertake alone. The thought of getting stuck on a minimum maintenance road in January may be foolish.

I have made 3 trips to SD since November and enjoyed myself and the 3 dogs immensely. Perhaps wisdom as a 64 year old should intervene and keep me home?

Attachments

• 20240101_144946.jpg
    20240101_144946.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231218_104436.jpg
    20231218_104436.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211219_113729.jpg
    20211219_113729.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 7
Just feeling the desire with our seasons closed to get 1 more trip in. Used to frequent Kansas in the past until long term droughts persisted...sure miss that opportunity for quail and pheasant. You know your old when you think of the past all to often.

Thanks for the replies bb et al.

Your head and your heart are fighting right now. Someday all we will have is memories. Enjoyed Kansas for many years, success was dog dependent. The best nose won.

Depending on where you are coming from, there is markedly less snow in the northeastern part of the state, once you get around and north of Hwy 212 and east of Hwy 25. The minimum maintenance roads are blown shut, but the rest of the gravel is open for safe travel.

Went out today. Gravel roads were passable for the most part. Didn't even attempt minimum maintenance roads. Snow seemed to be hard packed on the south side if tree belts and slough. Figured the wind from Sunday did that. The rest of the snow was pretty fluffy. Lot of close hens. Roosters seemed very wild. Did manage to scrounge my three out.

Hunting now in the Lake Preston/Arlington area. Snow was soft today, gravel roads were all fine, didn't temp drifted min main roads. Got my 3, was nice out. 3 days left for me! First 2 fields were dead. 3rd field flushed 35 hens and 1 cock, took him home. Hit large WPA at 4:15 and got my last 2. Lots of birds feeding in farm yards.

Back