Snake training

bdub20

With this cold I found a dead snake in the front yard. I was wondering if this would work at all for snake training with my dog to keep it from snakes. I don't know if it will give off a scent at all. He tried going by it and I called him off and nicked him but was wondering if there would be any benefit to really hit him with it on a dead snake.

It likely wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't consider it any type of substitute for the actual training with a live buzzworm.

Who knows, though -- it might keep the dog away from a live one in the interim between now and the time it gets the real training (if you plan to do that).

If I were going to try it, I wouldn't just "nick" the dog. A good-sized jolt will likely be needed to make a lasting impression.

I don't think it's the scent so much as the rattle associated with the snake. The buzz makes them curious. The point of breaking them is so they know when they hear the buzz bad things happen and they steer clear of the snake. I had my dog snake broke this summer and was able to test him on a snake with a broken back. The snake could still buzz and had limited striking ability. My dog heard the snake and wanted nothing to do with it.

Back