Snake avoidance training

spc524

What do you west river hunters do about snakes in the early season (for your dogs and yourself)? Vaccine? Avoidance Training? Avoid certain areas? Only hunt after it cools down? Snake chaps/boots?

I want to hunt the National grass land early season but I am pretty sure if there is a snake around we will find it.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure this doesn't help, but I don't hunt rattlesnake territory until it freezes at night and doesn't get above 55 in the day. Yes, snakes can still be out in those temps but they don't move very fast.

I'm sure this doesn't help, but I don't hunt rattlesnake territory until it freezes at night and doesn't get above 55 in the day. Yes, snakes can still be out in those temps but they don't move very fast.
Thats basically the same logic I do and I never seen one yet. I heard a smart dog will hear em first anyways & not mess with em.

Thats basically the same logic I do and I never seen one yet. I heard a smart dog will hear em first anyways & not mess with em.
Who ever you heard that from has no idea what he or she was talking about!!
Where they came up with that idea..? How about those that don’t warn before a strike?
Avoidance training is simple and very effective.

Who ever you heard that from has no idea what he or she was talking about!!
Where they came up with that idea..? How about those that don’t warn before a strike?
Avoidance training is simple and very effective.
I wouldnt be so sure about that, they're pretty experienced. But whatever, I'm sure not the expert, I still never seen one though probly cause I hunt where there's phez & not snakes. Never get in spots with snakes.

I wouldnt be so sure about that, they're pretty experienced. But whatever, I'm sure not the expert, I still never seen one though probly cause I hunt where there's phez & not snakes. Never get in spots with snakes.
Well…
Go with what you want to believe then!

I definitely say vaccinate if in snake country. Some are undecided as to how effective it is but no harm.
I think more bites occur because of stepping on one or running over them.

I live and hunt in Texas, snakes are just part of the equation unfortunately. One of the biggest rattlers I’ve encountered( and killed) in the field was end of November/ beginning of December. It was fairly cool out. We had 3” of snow on the ground the week before where I killed her. They do in fact come out of their dens during the winter months with weather permitting.
I am a firm believer in snake avoidance- I’ve been practicing it for 30 yrs with my bird dogs- it works! Never had one bit cause they were messing with a snake. In fact, the dogs get a little sideways, do a weird point, freeze with a high head etc etc which to me is great because it’s all the warning I need!! We usually just walk around it and keep hunting! I just did snake avoidance with a dog last week- this young female is very zippy and forward moving. I didn’t want to chance it. We had 2 rattlers out - she winded both of them before we got her to them. She didn’t want anything to do with either one.

Back