Small scale pheasant feeding

crockett

First off, my apologies if this is considered unethical or anything like that (and please say so if it is - I'd like to know). I have a few decent pheasant hunting spots on public and private land and I'd like to do what I can to help the local pheasant population that I harvest. Last year I picked up 5 cats that were clearly dumped at the end of the road and dropped them off at the humane society, so I figure that must help at least a bit! However, I was talking to a friend of mine who has a pheasant feeder in his backyard that he made out of a bucket lid and a peice of 4" ABS pipe. He's not a hunter - just likes watching the birds, but it got me thinking that I might be able to "anchor" the birds at my spots and also help the survivorship during times of low forage by putting out a few of these feeders myself. Any thoughts on this? Specifically, I'm wondering:
1. Is this ethical, or could it be seen as "baiting" birds?
2. Is this worthwhile, or could it just as likely attract competitors, predators etc...?
3. What kind of feed is best for pheasants? SHould I use something different to help young birds at this time of year and then switch to something else later?
4. Would this be more important in the winter to help overwinter survival (Nova Scotian winters can be somewhat harsh for pheasants).
5. Could this be harmful for the birds if I do not visit the area frequently enough to refill the feeders (i.e. could they become overly dependant on it or might young birds then not learn to forage on wild food?).
I look forward to your feedback on this.

1. Is this ethical, or could it be seen as "baiting" birds?
2. Is this worthwhile, or could it just as likely attract competitors, predators etc...?
3. What kind of feed is best for pheasants? SHould I use something different to help young birds at this time of year and then switch to something else later?
4. Would this be more important in the winter to help overwinter survival (Nova Scotian winters can be somewhat harsh for pheasants).
5. Could this be harmful for the birds if I do not visit the area frequently enough to refill the feeders (i.e. could they become overly dependant on it or might young birds then not learn to forage on wild food?).
I look forward to your feedback on this.

Crockett, you obviously put a lot of thought into this and raise some interesting questions. I hope you get a lot of responses back from folks with much experience base. I'll respond to your questions in order from my experience base.

1. Me planting milo could be called baiting too I suppose but in the end the benefit is for the hens and helps to thin out competing roosters.
2. Critical habitat that is absent is always helpful. You want to "draw birds into high quality cover" in times of extreme weather. If food is short then it is good. Birds get stressed from having to travel to far for food too.
3. Corn and sorghum provides a lot of energy and fat in harsh weather. Young birds (1st 2 months need insects)
4. Yes - This is important for getting hens thru winter healthy and ready to nest. Weak under weight hens nest as much as 3 weeks later than normal ones.
5. Possibly, that's why I really like food cover plots of milo as opposed to feeding. For the time and effort involved maybe you could form relationship with local farmer that might work with you to plant and acre or two of food cover plot?

Chris

Back