Slow times!

GustavDaGSP

So anybody got any suggestion on scouting i figure i should wait a couple of months so i dont disturb the birds, just looking for some advice what to look for and how some of you have your luck with getting permisssion for private land!?!?!

I may think get out now to scout before the hens start to nest and the farmers are working the ground. My only advise about getting hunting permission is to ASK. Maybe your buddy will have to sit this year out? permission to hunt Father and son maybe easier to get? And offer the land owner something? Birds,Gift cert. to go eat out. Booze always works. Good luck to you theres a ton of public land also it just takes time to figure out how to hunt it and which areas are better then the others.

if you scout now, you wont know where the birds go after the winter season is over. so id wait. just take occasional drives in the summer times.

right now, they are trying to stay warm together, scouting that now only tells you where they will be when its cold (off season). during the cold season, they are else where.

id scout in Sept which would be the best bet.

You can go out now and talk to farmers where you think you might hunt. See if they are planning on burning off any CRP and ask if you might help them. Maybe drive a grain truck or wagon on the weekends when they need help. When you finally make contact do not let them forget you and who you are. When harvest time comes, talk to the guys doing the harvesting. This , a lot of the time is not the farmer. These guys travel all over and know where the birds are. When you finally secure permission, be sure you don't show up with 10 guys , unless you and the land owner have had the discussion and he feels very comfortable with this. In my experience, I would wait until you build a great relationship with the land owner before bringing the army. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:Thanks guy's for the help!I have a few spots i hunt that are private and seems like sense i hunt by myself alot i have decent luck getting permisssion just never scouted before.I usually tell the person of the house my name and what i would be looking to do and that i have a dog or two any other pointers on how to maybe offer $20.00 or a bird if you harvest one if they let you go out?

not sure how to go about handing them money without insulting them but as for birds ask them if they would like one or two if you happen to harvest any off there land around here they usually turn the offer down but they always want to know how many birds we saw and where and offering to help do something even fix fence around the pasture always helps

Gustav
Just to show you how much it cost to hunt private land. My wife wants to hunt deer this year??? I told her birds are way better but I made her ask for permission She got it we dropped off two pheasants and some venision breakfast patties. To say thanks. That was cheap now she wants to look for a new gun.
I only drop off gifts after I get permission I wont make it part of the deal. Either they will let you hunt or not. Instead of money drop a gift card in the mail box to go eat. Get the women of the house to like you and you will hunt for years on the property.:thumbsup:

Thank's everbody for the help! Its always nice to be able to hunt private i think aug. or sep. ill start doing more scouting and asking for permission then!

Back