Sling

Hutcho

I'm gonna start by saying I don't like slings in the field, there's no way you can be ready in time when needed. That said, I think I need one. So I have a chukkar hunt coming up, cause I feel like being tortured, and this will be my son's first year carrying a shotgun. I think both are good instances to have free hands. Anyone have suggestions for a decent one? I refuse to drill holes in my nice wood stock so I'm gonna be limited to a slip on. I like the idea of keeping it my vest until needed. Thoughts?

I wear a Tenzing vest. Seems to work OK with that vest. The shoulder strap is specific for LH or RH use, not both. I like the fact that when in use, the gun’s muzzle is pointed in a safe direction, and it helps position the gun well for shooting. Takes most of the weight of the gun off your arms. I haven’t had any issues with the wood scratching from the “holster” on the stock either.

I'm gonna give it a try. I usually rest my gun on my strap vest in a way that carries very similar to this, I think it will work out nicely. That and I think a small little lanyard type thing clipped to the shoulder strap of my vest and the barrel would allow me to have both hands free if needed. If that makes sense. I'm excited to try it out!

I leave the “holster” on the stock all season (that way It is consistent for shooting) and then leave the sling in the car or in my vest until I need it. I’ll usually drive between 4-5 spots each trip. I will use the sling on long walks or towards the end of the day. Good luck with yours!

Before chukar hunting:

1. make sure your health insurance is up-to-date
2. be sure you're heart healthy
3. See a psychiatrist to find out what the hell is wrong with you
Should I be concerned my wife took out an extra life insurance policy? 🤣

Last edited:
I've had great luck using the Outdoor Connection Talon Sling with quick detach swivels. Used for waterfowl and turkey hunting, have yet to wear one out. The swivel connection is important. I've had the threaded style, had them come loose, ultimately having the gun drop to the ground - dangerous & not good for the gun either. I see Midway USA has them on sale now.............and a pretty good price.

Attachments

• Talon Sling.jpg
    Talon Sling.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 8
Back