Single shot guns?

Rogue Hunter

We have the best breed and trained dogs; the best electronics to train/control them: the best tech gear (clothes, boots, guns/ammo, etc) ever; and, we are the healthiest population in history. The Achille's Heel in this equation is the animal resource itself.

Have you ever considered using a single shot gun or load only one shell at a time...to apply a "one bird, one shot" philosophy to hunting as way to be a better steward of the resource...to be a better "gentleman sportsman"?

Do any of you hunt with single shot guns, or only load one shell in the gun?

Have you ever considered using a single shot gun or load only one shell at a time...to apply a "one bird, one shot" philosophy to hunting as way to be a better steward of the resource...to be a better "gentleman sportsman"?

I load only one shell into my gun. At a time!! I can't fathom how only one shell would make me a better anything, except shell conservationist.
Maybe I'm missing something. Do YOU do these things? If so, why, specifically?
If you're saying that because we have such great stuff on our side, pheasant populations (Achille's heel) could be at risk, I respectfully but heartily disagree. That said, you do you if it makes you feel good.

Last edited:
I started out hunting in 1956 with a single shot .410 Savage Model 220A. A number of years back I picked up a 16 ga. Savage Model 220B and took it out a number of times. Especially when I had out of state hunters visiting. I tried to handicap myself so as not to shoot more than my share and let them have more opportunities. :)

My boss only puts one shell into his Wingmaster for the sporting aspect of it.

I started out with a 16 gauge springfield single shot for pheasants when I was a kid.

One thing that I love about hunting is how everyone is free to choose how they wish to go about their business in the field, whether that means one shell and only shooting over textbook points or the 16 year old farm kid without a dog who has no idea what a plug is.

Personally, there are too many variables in how I hunt to want to limit myself to one shell. The biggest reason would be the birds that I don't hit very well on the first shot wobbling off into the sunset. The second is that shooting my gun brings me much happiness. I might have a few regrets on my deathbed, but running the air conditioner at 65 degrees all summer long and the number of shotgun shells I shot will not be among those. :)

Old Post pretty much covers my response.

Attachments

• Mick and phesant 11 18  yelllowstone great day 009.jpg
    Mick and phesant 11 18 yelllowstone great day 009.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 8
Nice post, Kismet. Thanks for sharing.

Everyone's situation is different. I hunt deer and turkey with a longbow, but when I'm after pheasants I've got one in the chamber and 3 in the magazine. I am fortunate to live and hunt in an area that has pretty decent wild bird numbers and enough public land to keep three Springers tuckered out. My dogs are all fairly young, and I want to get them on as many wild birds as possible. And, I enjoy the heck out of shooting at pheasants! I truly don't believe hunting pressure plays a factor in the areas I hunt. When conditions are absolutely brutal, I will not go out and push birds out of their chosen cover, fortunately that doesn't happen too often around here.

I limit myself to 3 shots when I'm hunting pheasants. Not because I don't want more, but because I keep a plug in my magazine. I tried putting two more rounds in there and it threw the balance/forward weight of the shotgun a little off. The number of times I've needed more than 3 shots when pheasant hunting is very minimal over the course of 20+ years.

You could definitely limit yourself to 1 shot when grouse hunting because, well, most of the time you don't even get to take one shot lol.

When I started hunting at the age of 14, I started with a single shot break action 20 gauge. Mostly because it was light and easy to use. I still have that shotgun too and sometimes I use it for grouse hunting.

We have the best breed and trained dogs; the best electronics to train/control them: the best tech gear (clothes, boots, guns/ammo, etc) ever; and, we are the healthiest population in history. The Achille's Heel in this equation is the animal resource itself.

Seems like a permanent way to choose a good shot and not scatter 5 in a rush.. if it works for you go for it. Hunted a private piece of land a couple years ago for bobwhite with the owner. Numbers were down that year which seems to be the norm so he made a rule at the truck that between the two of us when five hens had been taken we were done. It was actually really fun and made me realize when the light and angle is right you can pick out the males regularly.

Seems like a permanent way to choose a good shot and not scatter 5 in a rush.. if it works for you go for it. Hunted a private piece of land a couple years ago for bobwhite with the owner. Numbers were down that year which seems to be the norm so he made a rule at the truck that between the two of us when five hens had been taken we were done. It was actually really fun and made me realize when the light and angle is right you can pick out the males regularly.
I occasionally use the Stevens 940B 16 single shot that I got when I was 14. I shoot it better than the o/u and Sweet 16. Rarely miss- probably because it’s in my head that I only have one shot

Steve Grooms wrote in his book on pheasant hunting that when he went from an automatic to an o/u he seemed to hit more often and figured it was to concentrating on the shot rather than just letting the lead fly. I shoot as semi, but plan to pick up an O/U before next season.

Not shotguns, but I hunt with a pair of single shot Winchester 1885 rifles for coyotes and big game.

Always admired those rifles. Out of my price range and return-on-investment hunting credo, but works of art, in my opinion.

Dad bought me my first shotgun, an Ithaca Super single in .410, when I was 10 in 1967.
It became Dad's favorite for rabbit hunting, and I was "stuck" with his Rem 11-48 12 ga. It packed a wallop on both ends!

Always admired those rifles. Out of my price range and return-on-investment hunting credo, but works of art, in my opinion.

You sound like my wife :)

6.5 Swede

6p1bkjC.jpg

QRnmXEl.jpg

.22 Hornet

KvKE7cd.jpg

If I understand your philosophy, I think those of us that hunt with a SxS or U/O mimic what you are projecting. I think you are asking if we, as bird hunters, try not to shoot through a case a shells at each bird. I think by only having two rounds, I am pretty limited in the opportunities to take a bird once in flight. If I can't take it in two, I am done with the bird and he is on his way to a better life. I hunt over a pointing lab, so I feel like my chances are better to take a bird with a clean and sporting chance.

Attachments

• first retrieve.png
    first retrieve.png
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • Thomas W. Perkes.jpg
    Thomas W. Perkes.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I tried to handicap myself so as not to shoot more than my share and let them have more opportunities. :)
You don't do that when we hunt together....... :ROFLMAO:

Back