Side by Sides

Win. M-21 16 ga. - my avatar pic, Ray Cover engraving includes my beloved Abby who went suddenly blind at age 8. Restocked to fit.
RBL 16 (w/o the heavy pad system)
Dickinson 16 - double triggers
BSS 20 - restocked to fit
Win. M-23 12 ga. International

All are straight grip, between 6.5 and 6.8 lbs.

BSS 12 with Briley chokes is my occasional target gun.

Last edited:
What is your opinion Dickinson vs RBL? Quality etc.
I bought both new quite a few years back, have no idea how they're priced on today's market. The Dickinson was much cheaper, and IMO a better value. But the RBL is a nicer gun and I think was worth its price.

The Dickinson 16 barrels are high gloss hot blued, with choke tubes. The gun is noticeably barrel heavy. I like rust blued barrels better, and like lighter, fixed choke barrels better too. Stock finish is gloss poly that will chip if dinged. The stock is nicely shaped and well proportioned to the frame. The trigger plate action is innovative and I think it's pretty cool, but that's not a quality factor for me.

The RBL 16 has lighter weight rust blued fixed choke barrels. The stock is 2x wood, with an oil finish. (I think 2x was the standard offering if I remember right.) Much nicer than the Dickinson. The earliest RBL 16s had lighter, better proportioned stocks than mine, which is kinda fat, about the same thickness as the frame thru the grip to the butt. Case colors are nicer than the Dickinson IMO. As far as I know, all were made with 29" barrels -- an oddity, but I like them.

Last edited:
Back