Side by side shotgun

mla1967

I have a side by side 20 gauge that is hard to open all the way to load and unload. I can get shells in and out but I have to hold the barrels down to gain the little extra room I need, is there anyway that I can loosen them up so they open just a little more and I can reload faster? The gun does not have ejectors.
Thanks for the input.

If the gun is newer it will loosen some with use. If not I would take to a gunsmith and they can work it over.

Last edited:
The above advice is right. But if you want to speed up the process, get some toothpaste and lube the hingepin with it, then sit in front of the TV and open and close it a few hundred times. That will slick it up a little faster than just use.

The above advice is right. But if you want to speed up the process, get some toothpaste and lube the hingepin with it, then sit in front of the TV and open and close it a few hundred times. That will slick it up a little faster than just use.

Thanks I will give it a try.

They make a Lapping compound. But if you are in a hurry give the t-paste a go!:cheers:

It is a bit expensive but comes in 220,320 and 600 grit. 1 ounce of each and comes in a kit for 38 bucks.
Wheeler Engineering Lapping compound...

Last edited:
I would use the lapping compound if I had to but I think just keep using it and it will be ok after a while.

Back