Shotgun Shells

Ruger1

Could someone briefly explain the rules on non tox vs. lead shot? Are there some areas where lead is permitted?

Thanks!

Rules vary state to state and place to place within a particular state. You should visit the fish and game authority's website of any state you plan to hunt in as well as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's site if you are going to hunt on federal land. There is not one set of rules.

I believe its on pages 46-47 of the SD regulations regarding toxic VS non toxic shells..As long as it's not marked as a WPA or Waterfowl Production Area you can use lead..go to the online pdf version of the SD hunting regulations and it spells it out very well and gives examples of what the signs look like for each different walk in area. When in doubt throw steel......you really have to be careful and look at the posted signs to be sure.

In SD you can use lead on private and WIA, non-toxic is required on all forms of public land.

Try and make it a habit of using steel. Think about every time we drop the hammer it is 1 1/4 oz of lead dumped into a field. Do some simple math and we dump alot of lead out. 2 pounds of lead per box of shells. :thumbsup:

So, what do ya'll prefer to shoot? I started out with 12 gauge, steel, 2 3/4" 4s but I felt it was not getting the job done. I moved up to 2s and began dropping them.

So, what do ya'll prefer to shoot? I started out with 12 gauge, steel, 2 3/4" 4s but I felt it was not getting the job done. I moved up to 2s and began dropping them.

Steel 2's seem extreme in my experience, but different guns digest and pattern differently, so whatever works. I have probably killed most of my birds in recent years with #7 or 7.5 nickel plated shot, modified in 12 or 20. But I shoot over pointing dogs. Conditions with late season, or older birds, heavily feathered and wild flushing, might have me considering of loads traditionally thought of as waterfowl loads.

It's hard to guage what shell and shot size to use unless to take some time and pattern your gun. Go and buy 8 large poster size pieces of cardboad and draw a large circle on it with a "bullseye". Use a few different choke tubes and a few different shot sizes and you'll be amazed at how different each one is. Count the number of bb's in the kill zone from 30-35 yards. It takes a half an hour but you'll know exactly what shell patterns the best with the gun you use. Every shell from Federal to Black Cloud will pattern a little different. Trial and error today will make for better hunting tomorrow!!!!!!!

Back