Shotgun Fitting

Thor

Does anyone have a good resource for custom fitting a shotgun to a shooter in the Twin Cities or western Wisconsin? I am looking for the right combination of experience and gunsmithing to do the job right (providing a professional fit and finish, not just hacking in shims and spacers). Any idea of the costs?

Boy.... good luck with that one in town. Bob Fitzgerald out at the Horse and Hunt used to do a lot of fittings. Can't speak from personal experience but he had a good rep. with wood.

You can talk to Odenthal I'm Prior Lake, good gunsmith but not sure if he does gun fittings though.

If were talking a major changes on a nicer gun I would make the trip to see either Jim Greenwood (Kansas) or Wenig in Missouri. That's what those guys specialize in.

I can't help with a local 'smith for you, but in Canada I've paid 150$ for measuring and steam bending for drop and cast, plus 220$ for fitting a pachmayr no-snag recoil pad (including cutting wood to match my fitted LOP). For both guns that I've had done I spent a total of about 500$ by the time the dust settled with our high canadian taxes and insured return shipping. But.... it was worth every penny to have guns that shoot where I look. My gunsmith is from Belgium and lives and works just outside of Montreal, but I can't imaging that the distance and cross border logistics would be worth your while.
Dave
Edit - those are canadian funds of course, so about 450$US minus whatever difference in taxes (15% here)

Here's a couple of suggestions:

Ahlman's - Fairbault area

Bass Pro Shops - St. Paul?

Gander Mt. - they could direct you to a resource

Cabela's - same as Gander

Odenthal - Apparently doesn't bend stocks any more

Not sure about Bob @ Horse and Hunt...two friends have had marginal success with him...

If you want it done right and the gun is worth something, then Wenig or Greenwood would be worth the drive. Sometimes if you just need a minor tweak you may get by with sending them the gun with a pattern POI.

Last edited:
+1 on Jim Greenwood

Without proper mechanics, a fitting and stock adjustment are almost a waste of time and money.....!

cr

Wow! Kansas or Missouri to get a good fitting - that is a little off the beaten path for me. Pretty much out of the question. I have been to Ahlmans - impressive store, but would sure like to know if they have experience fitting. I will look into Odenthals.
Seems like there is a void that needs to be filled here in the Twin Cities. In starting this thread, I sort of thought there would be a few local "go to" experts that would come highly recommended.

Years ago I contacted a fellow that was/is a shooting instructor. He advised me on gun mount, and to a lesser extent, gun fit. I believe I made the contact through Sporting Clay's Magazine - their directory.

Shooting instructors may be hard to find and adding gunsmithing to their resume even more difficult. You might inquire through Traxler's...they could have an idea or a person who could help you.

Have you contacted the stores: Gander, Cabelas?

Good luck!

Wow! Kansas or Missouri to get a good fitting - that is a little off the beaten path for me. Pretty much out of the question. I have been to Ahlmans - impressive store, but would sure like to know if they have experience fitting. I will look into Odenthals.
Seems like there is a void that needs to be filled here in the Twin Cities. In starting this thread, I sort of thought there would be a few local "go to" experts that would come highly recommended.

The only reason I mentioned Greenwood and Wenig is I'm not sure there are many if any true stock fitter'/stock maker's locally or in Minnesota period.

The previous poster who commented on proper and consistent gunmounting mechanics is spot on. Only when or if your gun mount is consistent would a stock fitting be worth it.. Otherwise, complete waste of time and money.

Try Competitive Custom Shotguns in Ingelside IL ph 224.595.4463 ask for Paul. He is a custom shotgun smith and is very good. He currently is redoing a gun for me. He is from Poland and is hard to understand but does great work. He actually is a custom smith for CZ-USA too. I'll ask some of the prostaff here at CZ who they know in that area too. Will post any other finding here.

Kick'em Up!

Last edited:
There is a gentleman in Omaha, NE. that does gun fitting and makes his own guns, I have only recently met with him and discussed a fit on a gun. He is a down to earth person and explained to me how he got into stock making and gun fitting. He can set it up however you like with adjustable comb, butt plate, and a new rib w/ beads, also he coached me a bit on gun mount and showed me how to practice properly. Midwest Gun Fitting is his website I believe, but I have no end result to give you any kind of review.

shotgun fitting

Best person I know of is Patrick LaBoone near Wrenshall MN south of Duluth who operates Midwest Shooting School and does custom shotgun fitting. He travels for instruction quite a bit but it is best to meet him at his facility. Excellent IME.

He is working on one of my German SxS shotguns right now and I pick it up next week. Lengthening LOP and building up comb height. He does not do major carving or glass work on cracked stocks. He will do bending if needed.

Back