Shot a whopper pheasant

Bob in first picture is wearing gloves. We have all dealt with spurs and battle wounds Nice trophy, Bob
By golly...he is wearing gloves. I had removed mine as the retrieve was being made. Was fixing to "offload" some coffee from earlier and, as stated, the bird looked dead. Only offered the pics as pertinent to subject matter. Certainly I consider you a stout, battle-hardened, rooster battler.

By golly...he is wearing gloves. I had removed mine as the retrieve was being made. Was fixing to "offload" some coffee from earlier and, as stated, the bird looked dead. Only offered the pics as pertinent to subject matter. Certainly I consider you a stout, battle-hardened, rooster battler.
Just in case you decide to become a "hand model"

Had a buddy who owned a big shorthair. He got spurred pretty bad when he was a young dog. Instead of refusing to retrieve like you would think, he just made sure they were dead from then on. It always made me cringe to hear those bones crunching!

Please let me advise that you should make sure the taxidermist that you hired specializes in birds and hopefully you can see multiple photos of his work. A taxidermist that does deer head/shoulder mounts may not be the best for birds and visa versa.

If you really want to mount this bird, nothing disappoints - when even an average mount is picked up and it will make you ill if the work is subpar.

Had a buddy who owned a big shorthair. He got spurred pretty bad when he was a young dog. Instead of refusing to retrieve like you would think, he just made sure they were dead from then on. It always made me cringe to hear those bones crunching!
Funny...this happened to a springer I had just out of college named 'Pete'. He was a great dog. Retrieved ducks and geese just as enthusiastically as pheasants. Not kidding...water retrieved geese. Anyway, he got spurred his second season pretty bad. Cut his mouth up fairly good. After that if a pheasant was D.O.A....everything was fine. If a rooster so much as gave a reflex flap of the wings...death grip was applied. Upon cleaning it looked like Dracula retrieved my bird.

That is a nice trophy! I shot a big old bird in Kansas probably 15 years ago. His spurs were white like those in the picture and were longer than a quarter is wide. I had him mounted in a flying pose to hang on the wall since I didn’t have anyplace to have him standing..
Dogs are pretty smart and learn from their experiences. My chocolate lab was spurred when she was 9 months old. Cut her from just behind her nare to back under her eye. If the pheasant was dead she would bring it right to you but if it so much as wiggled she would flip it over on it’s breast and crunch it three times behind the wings. Not once, not twice or four times but always three times. She did that until she was gone.

Back