Short Trip

Miforester

Well my son and I headed out to Nebraska this past Sunday hoping the weather forecast was not going to be as bad as they predicted. We hunted three places on Monday and moved 3 covey's, a flock of prairie chickens and a few pheasants. We were able to harvest 6 quail and missed our only two opportunities on roosters. One area we hunted typically only has quail so we were shooting light loads of 7.5 and i think that might of played into my son missing his rooster. We were hunting a couple hours east of our base of operations. Dogs did well, but our shooting was lacking we could have doubled out take on quail and should of had our roosters. Covey's were of healthy size and birds harvested looked good. Flock of chickens flushed out of gun range.

We were planning on staying thru Saturday, but the weather forecast just continued to go south with temps and wind chills so we said we would hunt thru wednesday and head home wednesday afternoon. Woke up Tuesday morning it was 2 degrees with windchills in the -teens with no change really throughout the day, so we made the decision to pull the plug tueday morning and headed home. So considering we only hunted one day we did see a decent amount of birds, we were targeting quail.

Anytime spent in the field with my son is a successful trip whether one day or 5, he was able to shoot the first quail our pup pointed so that was very cool as well. I have been pretty fortunate with good weather either on my solo trips or father/son trips but that seems to have changed this year. I wish all you continued success during the rest of your upland season, i'm pretty much done for wild birds as the snow depths are getting to deep in the woods to chase grouse. Might do a phez farm for my pup.

Happy Holidays to all my fellow upland hunters!

Tom ,
Thanks for sharing your trip with us , sounds like the area of the state you hunted was less affected by the drought than in the west part of the State .

Tom ,
Thanks for sharing your trip with us , sounds like the area of the state you hunted was less affected by the drought than in the west part of the State .
Still somewhat droughty but not as bad as other areas. Wish the weather would have cooperated so I could have hunted some of the areas we hunted that were very productive.

Glad you got out when you did, it’s 5* now but the WC is -38*. Horse water is frozen, ugh, probably have to start hauling water tomorrow.

Glad you got out when you did, it’s 5* now but the WC is -38*. Horse water is frozen, ugh, probably have to start hauling water tomorrow.
Thanks Airmedic, i can handle alot and if it was just me probably would have stayed another day or two, but having my son with me it was just not worth it. It was a great day, i bought a gun from Dakotazeb this fall for my son and he was able to kill a quail off a point from our pup. Short trip but memories that will last a life time.

Like you said, anytime spent in the field with family and dogs is a good time. It sounds like you had some spots were the birds survived the drought. Too bad the weather didn't hold out for another day or two. My father and I hunted in SC Nebraska in early November and found more quail than pheasants. It was so hot and dry than that it was tough scenting for the dogs. I was hoping to go back but than I had to have surgery on my heel so we never made it. Good luck the rest of the year and have a Happy New Year!

Like you said, anytime spent in the field with family and dogs is a good time. It sounds like you had some spots were the birds survived the drought. Too bad the weather didn't hold out for another day or two. My father and I hunted in SC Nebraska in early November and found more quail than pheasants. It was so hot and dry than that it was tough scenting for the dogs. I was hoping to go back but than I had to have surgery on my heel so we never made it. Good luck the rest of the year and have a Happy New Year!
Thanks Bigi, my wild bird hunting is done for the year. We received 18 inches of snow so grouse woods are non huntable and we have no phez hunting. Might do a phez farm for my pup and son.

Happy New Year to you as well, hope your heel is recovering as planned.

Hey, fellow upland hunter! You and your son had a pretty successful trip to Nebraska, even though the weather wasn't exactly on your side. Good to hear your pup did well and your son got to shoot his first quail!
I can definitely relate to the challenge of hunting in bad weather. It sounds like you made the right call to head home early; there's no need to tough it out in the cold. And hey, as you said, any time spent in the field with your son is a successful trip, and that's what really matters!
On the topic of cruises, have you ever considered a hunting trip on a cruise? It's a different type of adventure, but it might be a fun change of pace. If you're interested, you can check out https://www.cruisetimetables.com for more information.

Last edited:
There is nothing better then spending a day hunting with your son or daughter. Congrats on a great day!

Back