Shooting Instruction

pheasantaddict

Has anyone, who was an experienced shooter, ever taken shooting lessons? Did it make a difference in your shooting? Thanks.

Definately!

I've taken lessons from 4 different instructors and I can tell you that there is a huge difference in the quality of instruction. The best was Andy Duffy and I'd recommend you get his video and watch it several times to learn proper form. http://www.sunrisevideo.com/catalog.asp?c=clays1

If you get a chance to take a personal lesson from him, it's well worth it.

Has anyone, who was an experienced shooter, ever taken shooting lessons? Did it make a difference in your shooting? Thanks.

I shot competitive Sporting Clays for almost 14 years. In those years I have taken a lesson or two from a couple of the touring Pros's and for me it allowed me to learn some things to get me to the next level. At the time I was already a fairly accomplished shot, but the instruction improved upon some things I was doing wrong. My only regret is that I wish I'd taken some instruction early on as this would have sped things up in the early years.

Shooting lessons will only make a difference, IF.... your willing to continually work on the things you were instructed. Otherwise, if you merely take a lesson here an there, but are unable or do not continually work on the things you have been taught, it is a waste of money IMO.

Most instructors will say a beginner is the easiest person to teach. No bad habits to get over. There like molding a piece of clay so to speak. I've been told women specifically are some of the easiest students to instruct, as they have no ego to get past..:D

You can certainly be self taught like a lot of us probably are, but good instruction will shorten your learning curve if you work at it.

Last edited:
I've been out of the mix for a few years, but here is a listing of all Certified NSCA instructors. http://www.mynsca.com/net/instructors_list.aspx

Currently it lists only one level 1 instructor in Minnesota, but I know there are more. I've shot with and against TOM HOELDERLE who is listed. He's local and a Master level shooter who's been shooting and instructing for long time.

If that doesn't work out you might call the Minnesota Horse and Hunt and inquire about NSCA certified instructors that may use there facility for instruction. I'm sure they can put you onto someone for sure.

Last edited:
For recommendations on professionsal shooters in MN I would call the Caribou Gun Club and talk to Randy Voss (Randy was a gold medal member of the USA team in the olympics). He would be a great start. Hope this helps.

For recommendations on professionsal shooters in MN I would call the Caribou Gun Club and talk to Randy Voss (Randy was a gold medal member of the USA team in the olympics). He would be a great start. Hope this helps.

Yes, for sure. Almost forgot about Caribou. He's a little further away (Le Sueur) , but another great person and facility to hone your craft.

Last edited:
I took lessons after I realized I could not shoot straight English stocks. Come to find out, I was dropping my head down which turned the gun out and right. To make a long story short...I don't have any more English stocks.

Back