shims

parman

Went to the range today to pattern my benelli ultralight 12 gauge. Shot a number of prairie storm 4 shot at 30 yards and 70% of the shot was below the line. What shim would be needed to raise the poi to approximately 50/50? I like to cover the bird when aiming.

Ok first of all how were you patterning it?

I will explain. If you were shooting your patterns with the gun already pre-mounted and aiming to a specific spot that will only tell you how the gun itself is shooting or Point of impact as they call it. Big difference on how the gun actually fits you, but still could be an issue with the gun itself regardless of how it fits.

If you were mounting the gun and simultaneously firing at a fixed spot (no delay) this will show you how well the gun fits YOU. Please note, if your using this method. To get an accurate portrayal of how well the gun fits, you should shoot 5 shots one over the top of each other, focusing on a specific spot to get a good average. The possibility of a bad gun mount is inherent, thus the reason for 5 shots. You should also be just far enough away (20 yards) so that you can't see where your shot is hitting to avoid correcting yourself on subsequent shots. You will also want to use at least a modified choke, it just makes it easier to view.

This method will only work if your gun mounting skills are somewhat consistent, so you may want to hone your gun mounting a bit and try again at a later date to confirm.

As far as the spacers. If Benelli's spacers are anything like Beretta's they are marked with a number e.g 65,60,55 etc... the number's are in millimeters I believe. In layman's terms the larger the number, the lower the stock and the lower the gun will shoot. The smaller the number, the higher the stock and the higher the gun will shoot. If you are confident that your gun mounting is sound then you will want to put in a lower numbered spacer than the one that's in there.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Ok first of all how were you patterning it?

I will explain. If you were shooting your patterns with the gun already pre-mounted and aiming to a specific spot that will only tell you how the gun itself is shooting or Point of impact as they call it. Big difference on how the gun actually fits you.

If you were mounting the gun and simultaneously firing at a fixed spot (no delay) this will show you how well the gun fits YOU. Please note, if your using this method. To get an accurate portrayal of how well the gun fits, you should shoot 5 shots one over the top of each other, focusing on a specific spot to get a good average. The possibility of a bad gun mount is inherent, thus the reason for 5 shots. You should also be just far enough away (20 yards) so that you can't see where your shot is hitting to avoid correcting yourself on subsequent shots. You will also want to use at least a modified choke, it just makes it easier to view.

This method will only work if your gun mounting skills are somewhat consistent, so you may want to hone your gun mounting a bit and try again at a later date to confirm.

As far as the spacers. If Benelli's spacers are anything like Beretta's they are marked with a number e.g 65,60,55 etc... the number's are in millimeters I believe. In layman's terms the larger the number the lower the stock, the smaller the number the higher the stock. More drop (higher number) causes the gun to shoot lower. The lower the number (less drop) causes the gun to shoot higher. If you are confident that your gun mounting is sound then you will want to put in a lower numbered spacer than the one that's in there.

Hope this helps

Birdman, if I may add to the origianal post.....I'm shooting high and to the right. How would I go about moving my shot to the left in order to reach "center"? Also, when shooting I closed one eye and also tryed with both eyes open and had the same result? Thanks for any help. Parman sorry to cut in on your post here;)--1pheas4

Birdman, if I may add to the origianal post.....I'm shooting high and to the right. How would I go about moving my shot to the left in order to reach "center"? Also, when shooting I closed one eye and also tryed with both eyes open and had the same result? Thanks for any help. Parman sorry to cut in on your post here;)--1pheas4

Birdshooter not birdman. :D

1pheas4, I'll assume your shooting a Benelli or Beretta, if your not and your model doesn't use a spacer system then you will have to consult with a gunfitter/gunsmith to alter the placement. Or read this article on gun fit, it has some ideas to try for experimenting with fit: http://209.62.39.2/~shotgunr/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=155

For Benelli's and Beretta's, each spacer has an option to alter the shot placement left or right as well as the up or down. Unfortunately, there are only two choices for left and right, Cast off for right handed shooters and cast on for left hand shooters. The gun normally is set up from the factory with cast off. Along with the number there should be a DX or SX visible on each spacer which will dictate Cast off or Cast on. To change to cast on, which will cause the gun to shoot more to the left, you flip the spacer around so the SX is visible on the upside when placed on the gun. On the newer Beretta's there are two spacers to adjust, one inside the stock hole and the other at the wrist where the stock attaches to the receiver. YOu will want to make sure that they both showing the same number and both are showing either DX or in the case of cast on (SX) when in place. This all should be in your Benelli or Beretta operator's manuals.

Again, make sure your gun mounting is consistent or your findings will be just that.... inconsistent. If you can't achieve the correct placement with the factory shims you may be able to buy additional shims from the factory or have a gunsmith make a custom spacer for your needs.

P.S. always shoot a shotgun with both eyes open unless you have a cross eye dominance issue.

Last edited:
Went to the range today to pattern my benelli ultralight 12 gauge. Shot a number of prairie storm 4 shot at 30 yards and 70% of the shot was below the line. What shim would be needed to raise the poi to approximately 50/50? I like to cover the bird when aiming.

For an upland gun you might want at LEAST 60/40 poi

Back