a few times while Pheasant hunting west of the river around Chaimberain
but they are very wild around the last of October, and hard to get close
to I hope to have my dog ready by then for his first hunt and would like to
hear some advice on hunting grouse in the first part of the season, are they
tammer and in coveys I realize he will be a rookey at it but am willing to try
to let him have at it and learn and gain experience. Any advice will be
appreciated very much.

THanks Jimmy

Jimmy, the national grasslands area in central south Dakota is where you want to be. I would think those birds would be less wild prior to pheasant opener and you can hunt grouse in Sept I believe and right from sunup to sundown as well. Check all the season regs to confirm.

Best thing for your dog is get it on the ground and with a lot of birds around. You should has thousands of acres to yourself out there.

national grass lands

Chris, I hunted a little on reservation land that some of it abbuted the Ft. Pierre national grass lands, I saw quite a few grouse but they were very
wild and hard to approach in Dec.. I didn't see any marked roads in the grasslands but I understand there are several that can be used during this
time of year to drive around in them, and I would also think they might not
be as wild and more approachable at the first of the season. I assume these
are the grasslands you are talking about, and I have no idea if they will
hold more for a dog or not I wouldn't think so with all the coyotes around.
Thanks for the info.
Jimmy

Never hunted sharptails in my life, or any other grouse for that matter other than a few sporadic ruffs way back-in-the-day in PA - but you guys have me thinkin about making a trip just to try out something new/different & as a way to chase after any kind of wild birds with my dog in Sept! :cool:

Never hunted sharptails in my life, or any other grouse for that matter other than a few sporadic ruffs way back-in-the-day in PA - but you guys have me thinkin about making a trip just to try out something new/different & as a way to chase after any kind of wild birds with my dog in Sept! :cool:

It's a little different game than pheasant but a worthy upland species. You can also hunt from sunup to sundown. We're actually starting to see them on our farm and nieghbors and that might indicate that sharptails are on the rise versus some down years.

Back