Sharptails

IDPheasantKiller

I have been making an annual trek to South Dakota every fall (guess I should say early winter) but was thinking about making a second earlier trip to do a combination pheasant sharptail hunt. I would appreciate any advice that you might have. I would be interested in hunting Montana, North Dakota, or Nebraska. Thanks in advance.

I usually get a couple of big blocks of time off in the fall so I was thinking about hunting the usual 10 days in November/early December for pheasant in eastern SD and taking an additional 10 days in October and bumming around doing something a bit different.

I usually get a couple of big blocks of time off in the fall so I was thinking about hunting the usual 10 days in November/early December for pheasant in eastern SD and taking an additional 10 days in October and bumming around doing something a bit different.

ahhhhhhhhh, see I wasn't thinking as big as you were:D

At pheasant fest there was a guy named "Pheasant John" that did a seminar on upland bird hunting west of Missouri river. it was fantastic but he had so much info I couldn't even begin to explain where to go or what state. Maybe look him up on internet as he might have some good resources to tap into.

Thanks for the contact...when I get some free time I will try to look up his contact information. I was thinking around Lewistown, Mt would be a fun venture.

I stayed at the Dakota Hills Hideaway in Robinson, North Dakota. I had never hunted sharpies before and had a good time. Out in the middle of nowhere, it was great. Dogs are allowed inside.

http://www.hqhranch.com/HQHDakotaHillsHideawayFrontPage.htm

picture.php

Last edited:
I do occasionally hunt chuckers just south of Moscow on the Salmon and Snake River breaks. The scenery is spectacular and the bird shooting can be pretty good, however, the terrain can be pretty demanding. It is not uncommon to cover a couple of thousand vertical feet on a typical day. I have 2 labs which are not the best suited dog for that type of country and I know the folks that run leggy pointers do much better. On an average day it is common to bust 3-4 coveys and bag a bird or two per covey....sure nice to crack a cold beer when you climb your way back to the pickup. One nice thing about chucker hunting is that you will rarely run into another hunter and the veiws are amazing. Thanks for the contact in ND, I wil give them a call and see what I can work out next fall.

I've hunted sharptails around Martin, SD and it was good. You could focus on pheasant and you would end up with a 50-50 mix of sharptail/pheasant but pheasants were certainly thin in this area. Or you could go to areas that only sharptails hangout and do well on sharpies. I believe the best "pure" or "exclusive" sharptail hunting is found in North Central to North West Nebraska and on up to South Central South Dakota. That is the sharptail "sweetspot" of the US without much of the other upland birds. However, I think this could be said for some parts of Montana and perhaps West Central North Dakota. If I had choice to hunt opening day next fall exclusively for shartail, it would be on either side of Hwy 61 between Merriman, NE and Hyannis, NE.

Back