Sharptail and Hun Cover?

Birdhuntr1

Next November will be my first trip out west bird hunting. Primary target will be pheasant. I know what to look for to find them. As I understand it, sharptail and huns are in SW ND. Do they inhabit the same type of covers as pheasant, or should I look for different habitat if I choose to pursue them?

Thank you for your time.

We usually see them in shorter cover. Cut fields, more sparse native vegetation, as opposed to the long CRP grass and cattails that will hold pheasants.

Yesterday I saw two large coveys in prime pheasant cover (when large amounts of snow present). The large amounts of snow covered up the short grasses they were in prior. I haven't determined when my "chances" for seeing them will rise though, you can see pheasant, sharpies, and huns in the same places here in ND I've noticed due to some cover sparse spots bunching them up.

Small grains, sunflowers and short grass.

Very few population studies on Huns and Sharpies.

Their populations should be higher ...

Huns do best in arid climates and much of the Prairie Pothole Region has been pretty wet the past 20 years.

I suspect the tall grass CRP is not overly attractive to nesting Huns and sharptails.

I believe that the new soybean and corn monoculture or I guess bi-culture farming has definitely NOT helped with Huns.

The ND Hun population in late 70s through 1992 was phenomenal. Would typically see 3 - 10 flocks per day just driving around. Dry (if not drought), early CRP era, most of ND was still wheat, barley and sunflowers. They never really recovered from the '93 and '94 wet years ...

When it is really hot (dogs no hunt hot) Sharptails are best found in the shade of tree belts and brushy draws. We have done real well hunting brush draws on afternoons in the 80s and 90s.

As September rolls to October and into November, Sharptails bunch up and hang out it trees or bare / short grass areas. Often difficult to approach. Most of my November and December sharptails have taken pass shooting when walking for pheasants.

Sharptails will fly from roost to field to feed each morning and evening. If you are in their path ... you will likely get a shot or two.

If you do get with in range of a flock remember that their ALWAYS one that flies after the rest are gone.

Except for unusual circumstances...If you are in grass taller than your knees you are in tool of cover for Sharptails. We shoot a lot of them and they like shorter grass. Good Sharptail cover will have virtually ZERO pheasants.

Thanks Schlag!

Just like everyone that will be hunting ND next year, this winter's snow has me watching things closely. Hopefully where I'm staying will have some birds around, maybe have to bribe a person or two to spend a day with as well😉

Deep snow does NOT hurt Sharptails. Hard Crusty snow does. They LOVE roosting in deep snow and make snow caves to keep warm. They also can survive on buds and browse from shrubs with zero ill effects. They don ot need grain but yes they still love it and will search it out when they can. They are tough and live in that part of the country for a reason!

Sharptails are built for winter. They have feathers that cover their legs all the way down to their toes.

Sharptails will fly to and from their food sources, often a half mile or further. Thus their rich, dark breast meat.

Sharptails seem to rely on their vision as a defense mechanism more than other upland game birds, thus they like to sit in trees in the morning a chuckle. They can dry off if the grass is dewey and can see for a long way out.

As the fall progress into Oct and Nov they tend to bunch in large flocks and spend most of the day in grassy areas or fields that are sparsely filled (as noted in the post above).

On cold, sunny days with a prevailing N / NW wind they most always will sit on the top edges of hillsides - in the sun and just out of the wind. On those days you can get close to birds by walking with the wind and being ready as you approach the crests of hill tops.

Spring nesting conditions are a primary factor in driving fall populations.

Last edited:
Hi, some very good info posted above. However, by Nov Sharpies will be wild as all get out. Hunting them will be tough. By this time they have bunched up from smaller family groups to very large flocks. I've seen flocks of up to 50+ birds late in the season and they'll flush as soon as they see you. And that can be up to a 1/4 mile away. By late season, most grouse that are shot are considered a bonus bird. One of those times when you jump a young single. But getting into a big flock is almost impossible.

Huns are also a bonus bird here. They have made a come back somewhat, but this winter has hurt them.

Both grouse and huns will be found in the same areas as pheasants, if the cover is pretty much the same in the area your hunting.

Just a reminder, Nov is Deer gun season in this State, so unless you have private land your hunting, you'll have to contend with lots of hunters on public lands

Good Luck!!!!!

Greg

Thanks all. My main objective will be pheasant, but wouldn't turn a blind eye to some bonus birds.

I hadn't thought of deer hunters, I'll just have to deal with that and make the most of it. My hunt dates are set in stone 14-17 November. Regardless of the number of birds we see, my wife and I will enjoy the time together seeing country we've never seen.

Hi, you'll be hunting right in the middle of the first week of deer season. So be careful.

Anyway, I wish you much success on your hunt, and hope that you and yours enjoy your stay here in the State I love.

Good Luck!!!

Greg

It has been my experience that huns are not overly impacted by tough winters unless an owl take roost near their roost. They seem rather winter hardy, although exposed as they run around on top of snow cover fields.

Hun populations were strong pre-CRP and back went ND winters were cold and snowy and summers rather dry.

Huns really need relatively dry springs to have good hatches. Wet springs result in little nesting and brood success.

Agree on the sharptails ... we usually get them pass shooting after mid October.

Back