Sharpies and prarie chickens

sharpies and pcs

they are easy to id after dead, sharpies have kinda v patterened breast feathers and pcs have dark bars pattern on thier breast feathers, but since it doesn't matter how many of either make up a 3 bird limit its usually not a problem unless you are wanting just pcs or vice versa. Some say pcs are better eating than sharpies, since I don't keep them seperated or labled when I finally clean and freeze them I don't know, I liked everyone I have eaten. The first ones I shot I was very surprised that they are all dark meat, unlike Pheasants or Quail. I do know when you cook them they are way better eating if cooked no more than medium and nearly medium rare, don't over cook them.

I made another trip out to the National Grasslands to see Prairie Chicken mating ritual. I took my brother in law, and my twin nephews (aged 14). I wanted to get up at 5 and set up a ground blind right on the lek, but the boys wouldn't get up, so we got there at daylight. too late to set up the blind. had a great time viewing them again, even if there were only 1 there. 10 cocks and 6 hens. I wonder if this is an indicator..

This is a picture from a previous trip, as we were too far for a good picture this trip.

DSCN0116.JPG

From last fall:

20141025_103456.jpg

Back