Semi-Automatic

daggermouth

I am looking at getting a new semi-automatic shotgun. I would like to be able to use this gun for pheasant and deer hunting.

I understand its mainly a preference, but what guns do you find point well? Never jam? longevity?

Would love to hear your opinions!!

Can't speak to longevity because I've only had it for a year, but my A400 XPLOR has been perfect. No jams, eats expensive and cheap ammo no problem. Fits me like a glove (your experience may vary).

There is a 21" slug barrel for them available, though unless you find a deal somewhere the barrel is around $800. Never seen one in person, happily we aren't restricted to shotguns up here.

I shot a guys unico last weekend. I loved how the gun swung. unbelievably balanced and no recoil at all it seemed like. But, it jammed 3 times in 50 shells. i was shooting 2 3/4 6 shot small game at clay pigeons.

Benellies have a good reputation. My hunting buddy who is also a gun smith likes them.

Whatever you buy I'd make sure that there is a slug barrel available for that gun. Shooting slugs out of a regular smooth bore can be an iffy proposition. With today's slugs and a good rifled slug barrel you can have yourself a real good deer gun.

I bought a Browning Maxus a few years ago. It is my all purpose bird gun, and I used it for trap for a year. I shot a couple of hundred rounds a week all last year and never had an issue with gun club ammo. Points well, is light and well balanced, and handles light loads as well as 3 1/2 inch shells without tearing your shoulder off. I did run into a box of light shells that would not cycle, but they did not cycle through my other autoloader either. 1 ounce trap loads cycle fine, so I believe it was the brand of that one box.
I would buy the gun again.

There are many good options for sure but if I had to guess the number one all time seller for someone looking for dual purpose birds and slugs would be 1100/1187. Lots of barrel options and not gonna break the bank in the process. Good luck in your search.

Back