Section roads right of way South Dakota

3pheasant

Hi I was wondering if someone could clarify South Dakota policy on section roads and whether or not have access to them.
Thanks

Hi I was wondering if someone could clarify South Dakota policy on section roads and whether or not have access to them.
Thanks
Don’t know for sure, but I have a section line road on one side of my land that is unimproved and has been closed by the township; if the other landowner and I wanted to put a gate up, we could, but we haven’t. I guess the answer is that some are open to hunting/use and some aren’t, if they’ve been deemed closed by the township. Hope that helps.🧐

If the road serves no purpose and the landowners on both sides of the road and the township agree the right of way reverts back to the landowners.

If the road serves no purpose and the landowners on both sides of the road and the township agree the right of way reverts back to the landowners.
Gotcha. I've come to a T and have clearly seen where the road used to be, but they're farming/grazing part of it. Common sense would tell you you can't hunt it.

Back