Season Closer

BrdHntr

Our friend that had to work on our annual Christmas break trip, managed to convince my better half that we should hunt the final four days of the season. Off we went, both excited for a final chance to chase these wily birds. The weather was amazing, two days in the 30's, two in the 40's. Hunted all 4 days with a lightweight long sleeve shirt and tee, with light Mechanix gloves. Incredibly, still no snow on the ground, and the ground remains bone dry. Virtually all the cover remained intact from our early fall trip. As A5 mentioned on his report, the birds were not grouped up as much as normal. It felt like a fall trip instead of a late winter trip. No snow is a big advantage for the birds, and we missed not having any. Overall, the birds were very spooky. We covered a lot of ground, with long stretches of no flushes. Pop ended up with a cut toward the end of day one that required stitches. Then another cut at the end of day three. We've never had a dog get tore up so much, especially wearing a vest. I thought about this when we arrived home, and she is the only dog we've had that doesn't yelp when encountering barb wire...................she's a bruiser! I'll now search for a vest that half covers her front legs. We found birds in both light and heavy cover, with some multiple flushes (those flushes the birds were very spooky) and single flushes. Some of the birds held extremely tight, so we had to be careful not to rush by the heavy cover. We pushed up a lot of hens, which was great to see.............we wished the roosters were so accommodating🤣. We ended up bagging 21 birds, a very rewarding and enjoyable trip, with the exception of Pop's injuries. We missed a handful of birds, so we did have our chance for a 4 day limit. Bird numbers are definitely down from last season, so here's hoping for good hatch conditions and growing season for the farmers.

Attachments

• WL9.jpg
    WL9.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 71
  • WL17.jpg
    WL17.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 63
  • WL27.jpg
    WL27.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 70
  • WL28.png
    WL28.png
    513.8 KB · Views: 70
thanks Guys.....................laughing now.......................& she still had her tee shirt on after first batch of stitches🤣

stop already, dying here!🤣🤣 Hence the squirrel pic, appropriate for the cast of characters on this site!!

Great report and great success. Love the pic with the dog photo bombing, dropping a deuce!
Back doesnt seemed arched enough for a deuce, but still a great photobomb! Do you measure the tails against your beard, very nice and I'm jealous! Sounds like a great hunt and well earned trophies. Hope she heals up quickly.

How long did it take to get that beard that long? I'ts not gonna be long before you'll have to throw it over your shoulder before you piss😁 I've kept mine short ever since I rolled it up in my bow string!!

Thanks Miforester. Thats my pal Lowell, he's a hoot! never forgot the first year he went with my son and I; didn't tie off his beard and every time he shot it tore beard hair out🤣 a couple years ago it was very cold & I warned him not to wander out too far in the frozen cattails................of course he busted thru and over the top of his muck boots................then the moans started..................my son & I were damn near rolling on the ground🤣🤣
I always bring spare socks and boots so we took good care of him.................there's always something that happens with him, all good fun!

Thanks Miforester. Thats my pal Lowell, he's a hoot! never forgot the first year he went with my son and I; didn't tie off his beard and every time he shot it tore beard hair out🤣 a couple years ago it was very cold & I warned him not to wander out too far in the frozen cattails................of course he busted thru and over the top of his muck boots................then the moans started..................my son & I were damn near rolling on the ground🤣🤣
I always bring spare socks and boots so we took good care of him.................there's always something that happens with him, all good fun!
I've been known to be that guy too and I also carry extra boots and socks for myself. If there is water in the fields I seem to find it, I always think it won't last long and by the time I figure it out I'm soaked.

Back