SD Walleye

Hockeybob

For 2 years in a row now my annual NW Ontario, Canada fishing trip has been canceled Due to the border being closed. I miss my walleye. I don’t have a clue where to start but was thinking SD in early June. Any tips on where to start looking?

Thanks,
Bob

I may be biased, but I see you're in Illinois, why not a trip to Minnesota for walleye fishing? Lots of quality lakes in Minnesota and we have about 10 "world class" lakes. You could also head up to Rainy Lake for that Canadian style terrain.

For 2 years in a row now my annual NW Ontario, Canada fishing trip has been canceled Due to the border being closed. I miss my walleye. I don’t have a clue where to start but was thinking SD in early June. Any tips on where to start looking?

Thanks,
Bob
Lake of the Woods—Minnesota side of course

I've done LOW in both Minnesota and Canada. I prefer the Canada version. I've fished smaller Canadian lakes and the Ely, MN area, and I prefer those over either side of LOW. But I'm also more of a multi-species guy and need a little more variety than all day with a spinner rig/bottom bouncer or a jig-and-minnow.

Anyway, last summer I fished SD--Missouri River/Lake Francis Case. It was more like Minnesota LOW than Canada LOW or smaller Canadian water. It was great and we caught a lot of fish. The lodging and food were fantastic. Tom and Nova are great hosts and really went the extra mile to help me out with a vehicle issue I had. If that's the kind of fishing you want, I doubt you'll do much better than Platte Creek Lodge. https://www.plattecreek.com/

Bob, don't rule out a combo trip in December or January.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 4
Back