SD upland trip

dsmtsi

My last post got deleted in the upgrade (so did my PM's so if you sent one can you re send it?) so here I go again.

Some friends and I are planning a trip 15-18th of November. The dates and area are all still fluid as of yet. I've hunted around Huron but it was all private land. A few of the guys have done public hunts around Brookings and they scratched out some birds.

I'm going to ND the first week in July to see my girlfriend?s family. We are taking one day to scout out some areas in SD. Any tips on where to start the search?

I've gotten a few PM's (thanks to them!), anyone have any ideas where I should go and look this weekend? I have about a day to wander any where in SD I want to look for a good place to hunt this year.

Are there any rules on dogs of leash on public land right now? In Iowa you can't have them off leash untill July 15th SD have anything like that? I have a new pup and wanted to let her run while we are there.

It's really tough to scout birds right now with all the cover and hens either nesting or with their broods. Early morning or an hour or 2 before sundown would be your best bet. You would be much better off concentrating in the Huron area than Brookings. West and NW of Huron up towards the Redfield area would be good.

As far as running dogs on public land in SD. If you are just out exercising them I don't think it's a problem. But no training on any land (public or private) between April 15th and July 31st. I also think there is a problem of running your dog on Federal Waterfowl Production Areas at anytime, but not sure on that one.

Back