SD Trip Report

JMc

Super Moderator
WOW...what a week. Here's how it went...

Day 1 - Got a late start out of Fritch headed to Sidney, NE. Of course I 'did not' make hotel reservations for a Sunday evening in Sidney; therefore after a quick stop at Cabela's we rolled into Chadron, NE and spent the first night at the Bunkhouse Motel.

Day 2 - Headed towards Custer and got stopped in Hot Springs due to fires so we hit the Mammoth Site (cool); and then took a cold dip at Cascade Falls. Roads opened and off to Custer. Accomodations at the Rocket Motel...great little 50's motel with great beds and very clean. Hit the Crazy Horse Monument (a little disapointed but still neat). Back to Custer for local shopping and grub. Met a zillion fire fighters as they were based at of Custer High School. THANK YOU FOR FIREFIGHTERS!!!!!

Day 3 - What a day! Headed to Mt. Rushmore...FANTASTIC...the wife and I were both impressed. Walked the loop twice just for exercise. Slipped up to Rapid City and hit the Harley shop then headed back to Custer via the Iron Mountain Road. What a crazy drive...beautiful road and animals. Continued through the park and back into Custer; more grub and pub.

Day 4 - Headed out of Custer to Needles Hwy. GREAT road and views. Unbelievable rock formations. Hit Spearfish Canyon, Lead, and Deadwood on the way to Sturgis. Glad I was there last week and not next. Rolled on over to Devil's Tower...that is a spooky looking rock. Originally planned to stay in Cheyenne and NO I did not know that it was Frontier Days and there would be no rooms within a zillion miles of Cheyenne so, we ended the night in a cool hotel in Casper called the C'mon Inn. Great place to stay.

Day 5 - Headed out of Casper to Pine, CO to pick up a new windshield for my new ride ('09 Road King Classic). Stopped at Clearview Shield and got a great tour of the place. Hit a great Swiss Restaruant in Woodland Village, CO. Ended the day at La Quinta in Pueblo.

Day 6 - Rolled back into Fritch, TX...played with dogs, cleaned pool, and started planning my trip back.

Next trip...more of the same plus the badlands and the caves...but WOW, I love the Black Hills and thanks to all the SD people I met along the way. Great people and state. I'll be back!

RushmoreTX.jpg

RoadKingClassic.jpg

JMc

Last edited:
Last month we did a family trip to the black hills and camped in Custer park. I love that area so much to do in one spot. Glad the trip went good and your home:cheers:

Day 1 - Got a late start out of Fritch headed to Sidney, NE. Of course I 'did not' make hotel reservations for a Sunday evening in Sidney; therefore after a quick stop at Cabela's we rolled into Chadron, NE and spent the first night at the Bunkhouse Motel.

Day 2 - Headed towards Custer and got stopped in Hot Springs due to fires so we hit the Mammoth Site (cool); and then took a cold dip at Cascade Falls. Roads opened and off to Custer. Accomodations at the Rocket Motel...great little 50's motel with great beds and very clean. Hit the Crazy Horse Monument (a little disapointed but still neat). Back to Custer for local shopping and grub. Met a zillion fire fighters as they were based at of Custer High School. THANK YOU FOR FIREFIGHTERS!!!!!

Day 3 - What a day! Headed to Mt. Rushmore...FANTASTIC...the wife and I were both impressed. Walked the loop twice just for exercise. Slipped up to Rapid City and hit the Harley shop then headed back to Custer via the Iron Mountain Road. What a crazy drive...beautiful road and animals. Continued through the park and back into Custer; more grub and pub.

Day 4 - Headed out of Custer to Needles Hwy. GREAT road and views. Unbelievable rock formations. Hit Spearfish Canyon, Lead, and Deadwood on the way to Sturgis. Glad I was there last week and not next. Rolled on over to Devil's Tower...that is a spooky looking rock. Originally planned to stay in Cheyenne and NO I did not know that it was Frontier Days and there would be no rooms within a zillion miles of Cheyenne so, we ended the night in a cool hotel in Casper called the C'mon Inn. Great place to stay.

Day 5 - Headed out of Casper to Pine, CO to pick up a new windshield for my new ride ('09 Road King Classic). Stopped at Clearview Shield and got a great tour of the place. Hit a great Swiss Restaruant in Woodland Village, CO. Ended the day at La Quinta in Pueblo.

Day 6 - Rolled back into Fritch, TX...played with dogs, cleaned pool, and started planning my trip back.

Next trip...more of the same plus the badlands and the caves...but WOW, I love the Black Hills and thanks to all the SD people I met along the way. Great people and state. I'll be back!

RushmoreTX.jpg

RoadKingClassic.jpg

JMc

Sounds like a great trip.:) I've made the frontier days mistake a time or two. It really is the grandaddy of all Rodeo's.:cheers:

You guys did well! covered a lot of territory.:thumbsup:
Familiar places to me except the Texas part. Gonna do that someday though.:)

Nice lookin' bike Jim. :thumbsup: Where did you pick it up?

It's an 09 trade in in Amarillo...7000 miles. I have a 98 BMW K1200 RS and now the Road King. It's like having a Corvette and a Cadillac in the same garage.

RushmoreTX.jpg

RoadKingClassic.jpg

JMc

Glad you enjoyed the trip--just a couple of notes--I live just a half mile south of the Custer High School and yes that fire was scary to say the least and the Black Hills Harley shop in RC is owned by a relative. Very cool picture of your bike with Mt. Rushmore :coolpics:

Oh ya as for Crazy Horse-- its a real odd thing--some see it as a bad likeness of a historic person that did not want his picture taken--carved into the sacred Black Hills --by a white man. It will never get done for lots of reasons--it is privately owned and they have no obligation to anyone to get it done.:rolleyes:

So you drive right by and don't even Honk!!!

Back