SD trip 2023

Yes you can give a small gift.Dont give 100 dollar bills.
But 20’s and 50’s are OK??? I’ll remember that.
So were you paying cash to hunt these spots?

Are you asking me? What f’ing difference does it make? If you must know we gave our usual walleye and pork to most.(my hunting buddy lives with in view of Lake Erie and I am a pig farmer). Hopefully that qualifies us to give those items away???? To one that likes whisky we gave a bottle of Pendleton because we’ve sat in the bar with him and drank. Also gave him some deer jerky because he loves it. (My daughter killed the deer). Is that all OK with everyone? If some of you would spend more time trying to foster relationships and friendships with land owners and less time worrying about what other are doing you may have more access to private ground if that is what you want. Oh, in order to stay under our possession limit we also gave some landowners that wanted some birds cleaned birds to enjoy.

For what it is worth we hunted 14 days straight and only hunted two places more than once during the trip. Had 3-4 more days worth of hunting land we had permission on we never even got to. Probably killed a total of 6-8 birds out of ditches if I had to guess. Sharing all this to show that private land access can be gained with some conversation, consideration and minor gifts of appreciation. For once and all the answer to the over riding question, THERE WAS NO MONEY EXCHANGED FOR HUNTING ACCESS!!!! We did have to pay for lodging though. Haven’t found a house owner willing to trade that for some walleye filets. 😂😂. In complete transparency two of the people that allow us to hunt do in fact have paying customers that also hunt their land. To my knowledge each one has a group that pays them to hunt. Thus my earlier point about people that offer pay hunting doing good things for the birds. They both have some small food plots in for those customers and don’t release birds just offer the access.

I wish everyone the best of luck the rest of this year. Whether hunting public, ditches, private or, god forbid, paying someone to hunt. I hope everyone gets what they want out of their season.

Are you asking me? What f’ing difference does it make? If you must know we gave our usual walleye and pork to most.(my hunting buddy lives with in view of Lake Erie and I am a pig farmer).
Oh, I think I was just confused by hillbilly goosemaster, that's why I asked. Sounds like a good 👍 trip!

Ok and when there is no free hunting, you are to blame
I’ll spare the word choices that are floating around in my head…look at the SD public land atlas…or MN…or ND…there’s so damn much public land it’s crazy. End of story. Your paranoia serves no constructive purpose. An old farmer just enrolled 3120 acres in CREP within 4 miles of my land in SD…some is within a mile…like 1000 acres. Not to mention other public land that’s been around for decades and barely gets hunted. Focus your energy on something positive.

Love it BB, tell us how you really feel! 🤣
I’ll spare the word choices that are floating around in my head…look at the SD public land atlas…or MN…or ND…there’s so damn much public land it’s crazy. End of story. Your paranoia serves no constructive purpose. An old farmer just enrolled 3120 acres in CREP within 4 miles of my land in SD…some is within a mile…like 1000 acres. Not to mention other public land that’s been around for decades and barely gets hunted. Focus your energy on something positive.

I happened to stop into a C store/coffee shop on about day 2 of my hunt 11/7-11/15 and ran into 3 farmer/ranchers who also charge early season, and they offered land…2 that we never got to! To thank them just for the offer I smoked pork shoulder…and spread it around…the 32lbs cost me under a $100 to smoke…all in…and about 8 people/families received several lbs each. For me, the relationships are very fun. I came back for a grad party in May, and a wedding in September…pretty typical for most years over the past 15 or so, throwing a funeral in there about every 18 months as well. I wouldn’t pay $200-300/day to hunt…or whatever the going rate is…UGUIDE is closer to $400+/day, fwiw. I know so many good public spots, there‘d be no point. And ditches. I‘m really in it for the steps at this point, not quick limits.

I really don’t think Goose is an idiot, quite the contrary; however, he chooses to take positions that are idiotic, in my opinion. I do lots of idiotic stuff as well, so I can’t call him out without being a hypocrite. However, my idiocy is more self-directed, vs. making public proclamations…whatever. Goose is probably laughing as he trespasses, pays to hunt, etc. Good entertainment for the chap! He wins! 😝🤪🤡🤓😜😆

Had these types of relationships with farmers back in the 90's in Iowa, unfortunately many have passed. That is why I switched to SD. I'm more about the relationships than limits. Slowly making those connections in SD.
I happened to stop into a C store/coffee shop on about day 2 of my hunt 11/7-11/15 and ran into 3 farmer/ranchers who also charge early season, and they offered land…2 that we never got to! To thank them just for the offer I smoked pork shoulder…and spread it around…the 32lbs cost me under a $100 to smoke…all in…and about 8 people/families received several lbs each. For me, the relationships are very fun. I came back for a grad party in May, and a wedding in September…pretty typical for most years over the past 15 or so, throwing a funeral in there about every 18 months as well. I wouldn’t pay $200-300/day to hunt…or whatever the going rate is…UGUIDE is closer to $400+/day, fwiw. I know so many good public spots, there‘d be no point. And ditches. I‘m really in it for the steps at this point, not quick limits.

If we analogize hunting with sex, I’ll just say this: If you’re NOT paying for sex, you’re paying WAY TOO MUCH! Could be the same with hunting. Guy that pays to hunt a few days per year may be $ ahead vs the scouting, the gifts, etc. And, the amount of action the dog got! 🤓

I really don’t think Goose is an idiot, quite the contrary; however, he chooses to take positions that are idiotic, in my opinion. I do lots of idiotic stuff as well, so I can’t call him out without being a hypocrite. However, my idiocy is more self-directed, vs. making public proclamations…whatever. Goose is probably laughing as he trespasses, pays to hunt, etc. Good entertainment for the chap! He wins! 😝🤪🤡🤓😜😆
I tend to agree, I think he knows the hot topics and pulls the pin and throws the grenade and sits back drinking his cognac and laughing!

Visiting good friends on our hunting excursions is the best part of the trip. Watching seasoned dogs perform and young dogs gain experience, is the most rewarding part. Nice to read what you guys do to show your appreciation- great stuff!!
My wife picks out gifts for the women - it works out great - they actually receive something they like🤣

BB I am pretty sure I know exactly what CREP land you are talking about and who the farmer is, would his initials happen to be BP?

I was shocked to see all that land get put into CREP, he has 1000's more acres around that area too. I looked at all that CREP this fall on our last trip out and I don't know if they have planted it yet or what the plan is for it but right now it looks like moonscape with some spotty cover. My dads ashes & his and my dogs ashes aren't too far from those fields. Hell my dad shot a cabela's banded bird 20+ years ago at the public spot across from the hog farm just down the road.

Those CREP acres had to be seeded by 11/1…I was at a wedding in Sept in Huron and had a long chat with the NRCS agent who handled the CREP transactions for him. It’ll be a good thing, despite the exponential increase in hunter traffic. I’ve shot some birds on that ground this year…and on adjacent private land…that’ll be the bonus over the next decade…I’ve got access to private land that abuts several of those CREP parcels. 3120 acres of solid habitat is pretty staggering….🍻🍻

Those CREP acres had to be seeded by 11/1…I was at a wedding in Sept in Huron and had a long chat with the NRCS agent who handled the CREP transactions for him. It’ll be a good thing, despite the exponential increase in hunter traffic. I’ve shot some birds on that ground this year…and on adjacent private land…that’ll be the bonus over the next decade…I’ve got access to private land that abuts several of those CREP parcels. 3120 acres of solid habitat is pretty staggering….🍻🍻
totally agree, we thought about hunting some of it but decided with what time of day it was we would leave it be. I used to hunt some private land close to those fields years ago, but the land owner moved into town and recently passed away this summer. I talked to his son while we were out there as he was spreading his ashes in the field so its nice to know that land will always be in the family and restored back to nice CRP.

Back