SD Pheasant Hunting Videos

Golden Hour

About a year ago, my father-in-law passed away and he was a very important person in my life and in our family. A patriarch, in every sense of the word. With his passing, I was saddened that I hadn't taken better care to document his rich hunting tradition. It was with that in mind that I started to film my hunts this season. As I'm just starting out, I am learning with each outing and editing session and am working to provide better content.

In addition to my own hunting tradition, I'm grateful to have footage of my dog, Sage, as I know all too well that she isn't going to be with me forever. Anyway, I thought some of you might like to see some of the content. I am continuing to add videos each week as the season progresses. I hunt a fair amount of public land, as well as some private. Mostly, I hope to show that you don't have to be the best anything, wear the best clothes or shoot the most expensive gun. Just get out and get after it.

Below is a hunt from earlier this year. The channel name is JCW Outdoors, a homage to my late father-in-law. Hope you all enjoy.

Really enjoyed your video! Excellent camera work - very steady and with a wide angle -cool. And no music to distract the viewer.Like the camera on the gun, have not seen this before.
Looking forward to more, thanks for the effort.

Really enjoyed your video! Excellent camera work - very steady and with a wide angle -cool. And no music to distract the viewer.Like the camera on the gun, have not seen this before.

Thanks, jonnyB. Like you, I'm not a fan of the music. I get that the wind is annoying and I've purchased a windscreen to help with that, but it is kind of ambient and conveys to the viewer the conditions. I appreciate the kind words.

The ShotKam was something I learned about last year. I am part of a waterfowl club where we pass shoot diver ducks primarily and I bought it for that reason. It is kind of tough with pheasants as you have to bump the stock to activate the camera and roosters aren't real cooperative as to when they flush. lol. I do enjoy the clips I have gotten, however.

Thanks, jonnyB. Like you, I'm not a fan of the music. I get that the wind is annoying and I've purchased a windscreen to help with that, but it is kind of ambient and conveys to the viewer the conditions. I appreciate the kind words.

The ShotKam was something I learned about last year. I am part of a waterfowl club where we pass shoot diver ducks primarily and I bought it for that reason. It is kind of tough with pheasants as you have to bump the stock to activate the camera and roosters aren't real cooperative as to when they flush. lol. I do enjoy the clips I have gotten, however.
Golden: forgot the most important credit - your dog is amazing! Full of energy and stays relatively close. A real gift...lots of zip.

Last edited:
About a year ago, my father-in-law passed away and he was a very important person in my life and in our family. A patriarch, in every sense of the word. With his passing, I was saddened that I hadn't taken better care to document his rich hunting tradition. It was with that in mind that I started to film my hunts this season. As I'm just starting out, I am learning with each outing and editing session and am working to provide better content.

In addition to my own hunting tradition, I'm grateful to have footage of my dog, Sage, as I know all too well that she isn't going to be with me forever. Anyway, I thought some of you might like to see some of the content. I am continuing to add videos each week as the season progresses. I hunt a fair amount of public land, as well as some private. Mostly, I hope to show that you don't have to be the best anything, wear the best clothes or shoot the most expensive gun. Just get out and get after it.

Below is a hunt from earlier this year. The channel name is JCW Outdoors, a homage to my late father-in-law. Hope you all enjoy.

Great video, thanks for sharing. Just curious which camera you are using.
Thanks again for sharing.

This, GH. I don't think I've mentioned this in my other comments to you, but I don't miss the music either.....AT ALL!! Some once in a while would be ok, as filler, but never during the hunting. I prefer your approach during "off time" - commenting/reflecting on what's going on, etc. But definitely get that ShotKam tuned in the next time you blast birds in trees. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Especially as it relates to Sage.

I shoot a Winchester SX3. It’s been a good gun.

The camera is a GoPro Hero 8. I have 3 batteries and that gets me through about 3 1/2 hours of hunting. I stop/start every few minutes as it helps when editing. Maybe more than you wanted to know. Haha

I’m on my way to hunt deer west of the Mighty Mo and hope to get some footage of the deer, as well as a rooster and hopefully some grouse. We will see. Regardless, it’s 5 days of straight hunting, so it will be awesome even if I never pull the trigger.

I will try to get more shots of ground pounding just for A5. 😉

The camera is a GoPro Hero 8. I have 3 batteries and that gets me through about 3 1/2 hours of hunting. I stop/start every few minutes as it helps when editing. Maybe more than you wanted to know. Haha

I’m on my way to hunt deer west of the Mighty Mo and hope to get some footage of the deer, as well as a rooster and hopefully some grouse. We will see. Regardless, it’s 5 days of straight hunting, so it will be awesome even if I never pull the trigger.

I enjoyed your videos as well. What are your preferred settings?

Just a suggestion to make editing a little easier. I like to stop and restart the camera after every shot (usually when my dog in handing over the bird). That way, when you go to edit, you don't have to weed thru many minutes of footage to find what you're looking for. It will be right there at the end of every clip.

What editing software do you use? I've started to record my hunts as well this fall and don't know which editing software I should choose to use.

I upgraded from a Go Pro 4 to a Go Pro 9. It came in the mail yesterday. I had to try it today with limited battery life keep in mind. My wife and I had just started a walk. Both the dogs started getting birdie. You will see Ellie (3.5 yrs) and Willow (7 mo) pin this bird down at the end. Ellie hunts with her head up a little more and winded the bird several times, relocating as the bird moved. Always amazing how Rudy can conceal and move without being detected by us. They ended up pinning the rooster. I am certain Willow knew that bird was there so I am not sure why she left. Literally 5 seconds after the Go Pro died, I walked in and flushed old Rudy. Ellie had a super nice retrieve.

What editing software do you use? I've started to record my hunts as well this fall and don't know which editing software I should choose to use.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro. It's $30 a month for the month by month subscription or $20 something a month for the annual subscription. I had to go through the tutorial a few times and learn more each time, but there is nothing that software can't do for the purposes of editing hunting videos for YouTube.

Back