SD License- 2 Five Day Periods

UplandHntr

does SD still offer a hunter who purchases his/her/they/it license after 12/15 or there abouts to use the second 5 days the following year or did they do away with that? I dont see it shown anywhere.

Interestingly enough I'm in the same boat. I spoke with some at SD licensing and they said that the 2024 Pheasant Dates haven't been finalized and publicly broadcasted. I'm starting to doubt that one could buy a license on 12/15 that would allow them to hunt 5 days in 23 and the remaining 5 days in Oct. 2024. I'm heading out on Friday and would like to do this but I can't seem to find anything confirming it. I will add that the person I spoke with didn't seem very knowledgeable.

Interestingly enough I'm in the same boat. I spoke with some at SD licensing and they said that the 2024 Pheasant Dates haven't been finalized and publicly broadcasted. I'm starting to doubt that one could buy a license on 12/15 that would allow them to hunt 5 days in 23 and the remaining 5 days in Oct. 2024. I'm heading out on Friday and would like to do this but I can't seem to find anything confirming it. I will add that the person I spoke with didn't seem very knowledgeable.
Choose your 2024 dates the latest they allow. You can move your dates up, but you can't push them back is my experience. If I go after 12/15, I put 12/31 (of the next year) as my last date for my second 5 day period and move it when I know next year's plans.

Heading out on Friday then!
me too - just seems odd that this is only shown in FAQ area and not in the licensing area. Maybe I will see when my son buys his license. Hope so. I was wondering if they did away with this option when they left the season open into January of the next year leaving 6 weeks after the 12/15 purchase not 2 weeks.

We are heading out this sunday and we are waiting to purchase on the way out so hopefully the FAQ is correct and we can get two for one. If not no big deal.

Last edited:
Yep my son and his buddy got their license today and the second 5 days is good for 2025, glad they didn't do away with this option.

I spoke with a friendly lady about this on 12/16. She assured me that as long as you switch your second days prior to them starting you can carry over to next fall.

Back from Sodak. Everything turned out perfect on the licensing. It does set the date at 1/27/25. I've never seen some many hens in my life.

Planning on making my first trip of the year out there this week so if hunt my 5 days this week my other 5 can used next fall of I understand this correctly?

Planning on making my first trip of the year out there this week so if hunt my 5 days this week my other 5 can used next fall of I understand this correctly?
Yes…you can start your 2nd 5 days as late as 1/27/25….that’s what the default start date will be.

Back