SD atlas- paper copy available?

TNBob

Just wondering if they print an updated atlas anymore. I know it's available online but you have to have a good cell signal to access it. I've got OnX too but us old timers like something you can write on!

In ND we used 2 I-pads and a cellphone to keep track of the electronic posting, plots, and onx. Then you go a couple miles farther down the road and run out of cellphone service. Tried printing some pages out, but the detail sucks and coffee stains wash the ink away.

I print out individual counties i hunt and also down those county maps into my avenza map app, maps work off your phones gps and you can track your hunt and add details. I still write on the paper maps, but nice having both.

You can save maps on OnX for the area youll be in and use them when out of cell area. Can also drop a pin in those maps. Works well

As others stated, you don't need cell signal to have full functionality with OnX. Download the map ahead of time, then you can even turn the cell signal off and it will still work just fine. I much rather use OnX than a paper map because I can always see exactly where I am. I often even draw a box on OnX of a property I'm hunting to easily see that I am still within that box. Can drop notes or waypoints for things that I want to refer to later.

You can pick up a paper atlas at most gas stations.

I primarily use OnX as you can research ahead of time on your PC (see aerial photos), make and review notes from previous years, and make a game plan. But the road maps in OnX are just terrible and Google is not much better. Need the atlas for accurate road maps.

I like to ride in the passenger seat with the atlas in my lap. Every mark I make has a story. At the end of each hunting trip I will compile a list of all the places we found birds. It pays off for future trips.

Still love me an old school paper atlas!
AtlasES, actually. Usually 1 at the office, 1 on my bedside table, & 5 or 6 in the truck (a couple current ones & some old ones). I force myself to throw a couple out every year. I make heavy use of the online atlas too. I really enjoy thinking about where pheasants might be & wondering whether or not they're missing me too. 😂

Back