Scoob Webguy Sitzdown Bullmoose45

Hubsker

Thank you. I was busy the week before and during Thanksgiving but want to thank you for your replies to my earlier post, "So Dakota via Albuquerque".

I ended up heading to Kansas the Sunday after Thanksgiving and did walk-in areas in the NW, Graham and Norton areas. I had a great time, inexpensive hotels, small town bar and grills, and great people. Sadie had two great days despite the wind on the second day. The third morning her nose and pads were too sore to hunt anymore so we headed home.

I was shooting well, we got three birds each day for a total of six. We lost three more that hit the ground like rocks but dissappeared, (35 mph gusts made tracking close to impossible) and I only used 13 shells. I'm braggin' but shootin' like that deserves it, haha.

I have some reservations now about not making it to So Dakota, but it was best considering how the ground will eat up your dog.

Rememeber, you owe your dogs. Sadie and I spent 45 minutes looking for the last rooster the second day. We busted it out of 5 foot thick stuff with two hens. I hit it solid and watched it land on the hill side above in 2 feet deep grass. I ran to the spot, threw my hat down, and told Sadie dead bird, etc. She kept losing interest and heading back, down a trail, to where the hens came out. I kept bringing her back and saying more forcefully, "deadbird!" Finally she went off her direction again, the sun was setting and I couldn't see well in the grass anymore. I was going to give up like the dog had when I turned around and Sadie was standing there with the bird. She knew where it was the whole time and had to wait patiently for me to shut-up and let her do her job.

Thanks Again.

Back