Scary Moment

The lever type conibear setters work great, just a bear to carry. You can do the same with rope, I would recommend practicing first, even if it on a 110, same concept just a larger trap.

Today found five more roosters in the vest with two of my nephews each getting one. We quit for the day after a near disaster.

I noticed orange ribbon on cattails of a slough we hunted between two tree rows and fresh vehicle tracks. I failed to put the pieces together until Ellie yelped and backed up quickly. I went to look and noticed a cable snare she had hit. At the same time Willow’s beeper caller was going meaning she was on point or at least stopped. My nephew walked over and realized she was not pointing but just staniding there. He looked closer and saw her head in the snare. I quickly went over. Willow was standing calmly but then wanted to get to me as I got closer but my nephew had her collar. Her calmness and Dawson holding her collar kept the snare from tightening down. I did not have to cut it but was able to loosen just enough to work the angles over Willows petite head. This event scared the daylights out of me and brings many threads on this forum together for me:

1. I will NOT loan my dog out. I doubt she would have remained calm nor would others likely have the knowledge or preparedness that I am going to have especially swapping info with all of you.
2. Always carry a cable cutter and study how snares work. I was prepared for today.
3. I will always be able to locate my dog; Beeper collar, gps, or cowbell does not matter to me. I have tried stealth mode with and without my dogs and independently and with hunting partners. You will have a lot of trouble convincing me that they don’t know you are there from the moment your boots hit the ground. Ground vibrations, site, other sounds cue them in from the get go. Use any method you want for tracking your dog and don’t apologize for it. In the end, the effects are negligible on alerting roosters.
4. Sharing knowledge and experiences helps prepare us all for more successful hunts. I really enjoy this forum for this reason. Even if we have useless bantering over what a Triple really means. : )

I warned you ahead of time I rolled many threads together. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings today. Some of your ramblings since I joined this forum contributed to saving my dog of not both from disaster today. I appreciate you all!

View attachment 2604
PS. Also encountered a porcupine in the cattails earlier in the morning and shot that.
Curious if it was private or public land? If I remember correctly trapping isn't allowed on public land in ND until after bird season. I try to make a point of asking private landowners but I could see them not always being aware.

Curious if it was private or public land? If I remember correctly trapping isn't allowed on public land in ND until after bird season. I try to make a point of asking private landowners but I could see them not always being aware.

I was wondering the same. If private land I would expect a caution from the landowner.

I always carry a Leatherman and length of 550 cord. I live in a small secluded neighborhood in the woods with no fencing. My Brittany at the time usually didn't wonder off, however, one day she did and my neighbor was driving down our road and said you have brits right and said yes. He informed me one was walking down the road with a trap on her head, I immediately jumped in his truck and said take me to her. She had a conibar trap on her head, one end just short of her nose and the other end just past her ears. At the time I wasn't that familiar with those traps but adrenaline is a great thing as I got the trap off of her in less than a minute, not sure how it just happened.

The trap had a tag of the owner, I call the local CO a friend of mine and explained what had just happened. I know I was in the wrong for letting my dog run, Michigan leash laws, however, I know that trap was set illegally. My buddy followed up with the owner and they admitted to setting traps along their chicken pen and they baited them with bacon grease.

This happened on a Sunday so I called my vet emergency line and got her looked at that night. She checked out fine, she was 13 at the time. After this experience I install an invisible fence to prevent this from happening again.

Part of my season prep is to review and practice on how to release a conibar trap. Never want to experience that again.

Glad you pup is OK ND.

MIke, I see how it happens. This is one of my worst fears, you send a dog into a cattail slough and they hit somebodies trap. Glad everything worked out fine and that your dogs are ok. Thanks for the heads up with the flagging ribbon. I will be watching for that now as well.

Snares
The leatherman will not cut most snares. I have a specific cutter designed to cut those cables. I may have posted the link to the cutter before.

Traps
There is an excellent zip tie method also. The zip ties are difficult to find and purchase, but easy to carry in a vest. I assume they could possibly be brittle in real cold temps. I have tested them in 32F and above without issue.

I have a conibear trap that I have practice opening ... trigger it on a log or stuffed animal. Been a long time though. I would advise anyone that hunts in areas where trappers run ... to buy one and practice with zip ties, setter, leash, rope, belt ... etc...

There is a group that is trying to change the trapping laws (simply mirror WI rules) that would eliminate most if not all incidental dog kills in Minnesota.

They are not anti-trapping or anti-hunting !!!!

The trapping lobby is extremely strong and hesitant to make any changes in MN. The issue has subsided some in MN because fur prices are really low and gas prices high. Less traps are being set.

I will share that I now (past 5 years or so) only hunt ruffed grouse on private land in MN or in WI once trapping seasons open up. Nearly all incidents on dogs occur north of I-94. That said, many if not most incidents are tied to traps set along road ditches killing a local resident's dog on their own property or as they go for a stroll down an old trail or gravel road.

Last edited:
Felco C7 cutter.

It is sold via many outlets including online trapping stores. One handed use !

Small and easy to carry !!

Attachments

• FelcoC7.PNG
    FelcoC7.PNG
    157.7 KB · Views: 14
  • FelcoC7 Photo.jpg
    FelcoC7 Photo.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks for the contributions to this thread helping us to be more informed an aware for the safety of our best and most loyal friends. Some asked about whether the land was private or not. It was private land that I had an open invitation to hunt after deer season ended just like the past four seasons.

Hindsight is 20-20:
  • I wish I had called him that morning.
  • I regret not recognizing the flagging tape right away. I did not know trappers did that to mark their locations.
I am thankful all turned out well and my knowledge base has increased exponentially as I hope it has for others.

P.S. Great news is the temps go from a high today of -9 degrees to 3 degrees Above zero with only 5-10 mph winds. Sounds like Thursday is a hunt day for us. Friday and Saturday we are not as fortunate but then we get some balmy weather on Sunday (the last day of the Phez Season for us) when it will be 26 degrees.

Thanks for the contributions to this thread helping us to be more informed an aware for the safety of our best and most loyal friends. Some asked about whether the land was private or not. It was private land that I had an open invitation to hunt after deer season ended just like the past four seasons.

Hindsight is 20-20:
  • I wish I had called him that morning.
  • I regret not recognizing the flagging tape right away. I did not know trappers did that to mark their locations.
I am thankful all turned out well and my knowledge base has increased exponentially as I hope it has for others.

P.S. Great news is the temps go from a high today of -9 degrees to 3 degrees Above zero with only 5-10 mph winds. Sounds like Thursday is a hunt day for us. Friday and Saturday we are not as fortunate but then we get some balmy weather on Sunday (the last day of the Phez Season for us) when it will be 26 degrees.
Good Luck.

Hi guys, I too really appreciate the thread on this. Never have come across a snare, but never say never. I did find a cheaper pair of short nose cutters at Fleet Farm, but took your advice BRITTMAN, and ordered the Felco C-7 cutters. They fit in the zipper pouch on Wildfowler strap vest I use (found these at Joe's Sporting Goods in Minny - St. Paul early fall - wow what a store!). Thanks to all on this!

Attachments

• Wildfowler Vest 2021.jpg
    Wildfowler Vest 2021.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 16
Because of this post, I now carry a Felco c7 and a rope in my vest. I have watched the video several times but until I am actually in a situation like that, I can't say I would be too confident with how I would handle this. As Brittman suggested, I feel I like I should acquire some traps for practice. Conibear traps in particular. What would the flagging ribbon look like?

Not sure how common it is for trappers to use this, but this is what was tied onto the cattails in the slough I encountered. Can come in variety of colors.
orange-flagging-tape-application_900.jpeg

Coyotes are difficult to trap, but easy to snare. Really be careful around thickets as the entrance and exit are relatively easy to identify. Your dog will follow the trail in. Look for the visible man made sign as above. Be careful.

I always carry a Leatherman and length of 550 cord. I live in a small secluded neighborhood in the woods with no fencing. My Brittany at the time usually didn't wonder off, however, one day she did and my neighbor was driving down our road and said you have brits right and said yes. He informed me one was walking down the road with a trap on her head, I immediately jumped in his truck and said take me to her. She had a conibar trap on her head, one end just short of her nose and the other end just past her ears. At the time I wasn't that familiar with those traps but adrenaline is a great thing as I got the trap off of her in less than a minute, not sure how it just happened.

The trap had a tag of the owner, I call the local CO a friend of mine and explained what had just happened. I know I was in the wrong for letting my dog run, Michigan leash laws, however, I know that trap was set illegally. My buddy followed up with the owner and they admitted to setting traps along their chicken pen and they baited them with bacon grease.

This happened on a Sunday so I called my vet emergency line and got her looked at that night. She checked out fine, she was 13 at the time. After this experience I install an invisible fence to prevent this from happening again.

Part of my season prep is to review and practice on how to release a conibar trap. Never want to experience that again.

Glad you pup is OK ND.
A Leatherman will tend to crush instead of cut a snare....cutters designed for rope wire like Felco c7 will quickly cut a snare wire.
Also a leash or belt will work for conibear or leg hold trap springs.

Back